Solid State Relay - Input Rating

ErnieH

Joined Feb 17, 2017
Hello Tronics gods, I'm using a Solid State Relay type: KUDOM - KSA240D2-5, 2amp 240V. It runs from 2-5V, which i can get to work of an output pin from a pic12f629. Work great with not limiting resistor. That what my question is.... do i need a limiting resistor ? because the secifications on the 'Input Ratings' says 'Maximun Current 15mA' so i put 500 ohms of resistance in series of the input circuit, thinking it should be happy @ 10mA, but then it doesn't switch to 10 watt 240v load.
Jaycar Electronics catalogue# SY4088.

Thanks
Ernie H

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Typically those type of relays, similar to the OPTO22 range do not require a series resistor when connected at the rated input voltage.

ErnieH

Joined Feb 17, 2017
Typically those type of relays, similar to the OPTO22 range do not require a series resistor when connected at the rated input voltage.
Thanks a mil ! for your comment Max, i feel much better now, its seems cool / miraculous to be able to switch 240V from a 5V pic pin. The author David Meiklejohn of Gooligum is amazing, i'm using his midrange project on 'Reading Switches' lesson 3 / Example 3. Does a great job of switch debouncing. I'm using this program to switch a 10watt / 240v fan on & off as a test project.

Thanks again
Ernie H