Soldering iron - different watts at different voltages

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I've owned a string of soldering irons starting with a clumsy 100W monster that I used to make a candle lantern out of a tin can in grade 5 or 6 at elementary school, when we were encouraged to bring a project to do in class. Plastic scissors and paste? Bah: molten 50/50 lead solder, acid flux, tin snips and sharp metal.

But I digress. I'm currently using Chinese things that use copies of Hakko T12 tips. The whole thing cost me about as much as one replacement Weller tip. Temperature is completely adjustable, though the numbers displayed may be arbitrary. It has a motion sensor for automatic standby or sleep, extending tip life, and conserving battery power when used off-grid.
The vendor I got mine from isn't currently offering it, but this looks like almost exactly the same thing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000577553855.html
They can sell you a case and power supply, but there are infinite options for DIY cases, and suitable power bricks are a few bucks at thrift stores. My kit came with two motion switches; if you install both 69 style, the motion sensing works better. The default tip provided is a knife shape; a more normal tip would be the B2 or BC2. But you'll want to buy an assortment of tips eventually.