Solar Panel Voltage test help

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The thermal mass of a bucket of water and waters very high specific heat will help maintain the resistance at a steady temperature and consequently achieve a more stable resistance value that will not change so quickly due to heating.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The thermal mass of a bucket of water and waters very high specific heat will help maintain the resistance at a steady temperature and consequently achieve a more stable resistance value that will not change so quickly due to heating.

Thank you

The element so far has not even got warm

The best voltage we have had across the load since I started this is 2 Volts.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You hook the panel up to a current monitor or handheld multimeter.

You will be "shorting" the panel output through the meter.

A current meter contains a very very low value resistance through which the current is sent. By hooking it up between the two wires of the panel, the low resistance essentially shorts the panel and the maximum current the panel can produce at that illumination level will pass and can be read from the meter.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012

A current meter contains a very very low value resistance through which the current is sent. By hooking it up between the two wires of the panel, the low resistance essentially shorts the panel and the maximum current the panel can produce at that illumination level will pass and can be read from the meter.
Thank you Very much

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012

I hope I am getting this right. I have attached the graphs of the results that I have and a link to the weather that I was measuring in.

My results show a VERY low power output

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79myzhd17vkyj21/20 January Weather.mp4?dl=0

Attachments

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You may, in fact, have an electrical problem with your panel.
Was it new when you got it?
No it was not new, And the cables were shorted together when I got it.

I have a 10 Watt panel which I can use to experiment with

I will continue to use the 5R2 resistor