solar charging circuit, need explaination

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
It is a self-oscillating boost regulator (actually non-regulator as there is no voltage feedback. It takes the low voltage solar cells 8 * 0.5V = 4V, uses this voltage to charge the primary transformer inductance--the secondary turns on the transistor harder so as to saturate the transistor (high current, low sat V zeltex transistor)--the current continues to increase until the transformer core saturates at which time the transistor drive substantially weakens and reduces the collector current, which reverses voltage polarity on both the primary and secondary--the transistor turns off and the inductance discharges into the higher battery voltage until the inductor is discharged--and then it starts over again--whew!

Last edited:

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Thanks JimKeith, I got what you are saying, now I have new questions, what are those two capacitors do in this circuit?

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
In addition to what nsaspook said, the input capacitor provides the peak current to saturate the transformer--the solar panel probably cannot do it--also keeps a steady DC current flow out of solar panel because the boost converter uses it in pulses so that during the transformer discharge cycle, the solar panel would be idle.

The 2nd capacitor provides a low impedance return for the transformer winding that drives the transistor.

An interesting experiment would involve trimming the transformer turns ratio for highest efficiency, and /or adjusting the base drive turns for the same.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
An interesting experiment would involve trimming the transformer turns ratio for highest efficiency, and /or adjusting the base drive turns for the same.
increasing efficiency is something interested me, but I don't what exactly do you mean to get better efficiency