Software for Auto Routing PCB connections (Not on copper clad)

Mozee

Joined Jul 23, 2016
Hey AAC folks,I want to create a circuit not on a copper clad PCB but on the normal PCBs where it has many holes like this one HERE and I would like to design it using some simulation software. I do have Multisim and Circuit Wizard but when I auto route the design for the optimum shape and size when placing the components the resulting circuit must be printed the using a copper clad and etching etc.. All I want is to be able to design my circuit and use the auto route function to get the best components placement to save size and for my design to look less messy.
Thanks in advance

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What you are using are referred to variously as perf boards, prototyping boards, or wirewrapping boards.

I'm not aware of any autorouting tool for wirewrapping, but wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that several exist.

You can probably get useable ideas by using a normal auto place and route tool and configuring it for a single-sides PCB.

Mozee

Joined Jul 23, 2016
Thank you for the info.
It is kinda possible but hard and not so practical to do so but if a specific software is available then that wil be awesome.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You are not asking an auto routing functioning an auto placing one, where the optimal position of the components is chosen for you.

I have never seen any layout package that has such. They may exist in some high end packages, but that means $$$

However, if you free your schematic in a PCB design package you can use that for placement, as most every package will show what is termed "air wires." These are the point to point connections shows as straight lines between every point they go. These can be used to place parts as close as CAn be for short runs, also good if want to rotate parts.

I use these same boards for my prototypes. I usually just eyeball where I want things using the schematic as a guide. I will use something like Autocad to make a layout drawing of where things are.

Anything special such as the power lines and any heavy current paths are laid out and assembled first, then I come back with my AWG #30 word to do the final point to point.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I use the old (as in Windows 3.1) Protel AdvancedPCB v2.1 and it has an autoplace function as well as an autoroute. I quickly realized that neither does nearly as good a job as I can do by hand and so I gave up even trying them since most of our PCB designs had portions that had noise-sensitive circuits and we were always concerned about good power routing and separation of the analog and digital supplies. I've used several autorouters over the years and have always found the same to be true -- though I've never had the opportunity to try a truly high-end place and route tool.

For ASIC designs, we used L-Edit's standard cell place and route tool for our non-critical random logic blocks, which typically contained somewhere between a few hundred gates to several thousand. While it did a very poor job relative to what could have easily been achieved by hand, it also did in a few minutes work that would have taken one of us several days or even a couple weeks on the larger blocks. A classic case of the principle that, in engineering, if it's good enough, then it's good enough.

Mozee

Joined Jul 23, 2016
Thank you guys. I think I'll be using stripboards from now on. Looks neater and supported by many CADs

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I bought some strip board once. Never used it. It is poor quality, both in the base material and the traces.

It may have limited applications with some simple devices, but once you leave three lead transistors and Dip packages the stuff will be less than useful.

DrAlx

Joined Jul 5, 2017
Thank you guys. I think I'll be using stripboards from now on. Looks neater and supported by many CADs
I recently released free software for vero/perf/PCB called VeroRoute.

Unlike other vero software, you don't start with a picture of the strips. Instead, you layout the parts as for a PCB and when you have a correct layout it can "build" the strips for you.

Main page here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veroroute/?source=navbar

Ready compiled windows versions here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veroroute/files/?source=navbar

(For other OSs like Linux or OS-X you will have to download QtCreator and compile the source code yourself.)

There is an in-built tutorial under Help->Tutorial.

Post any questions/support requests etc on the discussion page on sourceforge.

Mozee

Joined Jul 23, 2016
Unfortunately I use OS X and I do have a 64bit Windows XP installed. The App is built for Win32 :(
Thanks anyways and I hope you could create a Mac version of it!
I have no programming experience that's why I know nothing about compiling and stuff..