Software developer - Wishing to build smart wristband

Zeev Nukvar

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Hi,
I'm almost 30 now, self-studied computers and soft. development and ofcourse had my fun working for several companies up to the point of a CTO once.

I'm interested in learning electronics, knowing how to build sensor-based wearables.

For that, i really hope this site will do, i just found it after long research on the field.

Can someone here be a guide? Any recommended courses/online courses/books?
I will appreciate any help you can give to a noob around your community, site and the field itself and hope to be able to return the favor.

Good day,
Zeev.

Zeev Nukvar

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Thank you :)
In Electronics 0, i just downloaded 2 books found 3 different sites with video lectures on the topic and ready to start.
I'm strong on logic and math.
Mainly my passion is to work on wearable devices and learn to build custom new ones. or plan it and understand the plans.
So i wish to know how or if i can learn the relevant topics instead of learning all about electronics.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thank you :)
In Electronics 0, i just downloaded 2 books found 3 different sites with video lectures on the topic and ready to start.
I'm strong on logic and math.
Mainly my passion is to work on wearable devices and learn to build custom new ones. or plan it and understand the plans.
So i wish to know how or if i can learn the relevant topics instead of learning all about electronics.
Well, you definitely don't need to learn ALL about electronics to create some pretty neat gadgets (and if you ever do, give me a call, I'd like to learn even more myself :))
Anyway, I suggest you start with basic 5V TTL circuits. Learn how to make a simple regulator 7805 circuit for instance, know a thing or two about LEDs, and then (judging from your background) jump straight into MCU programming. Since you're a software developer, I'm sure you'll very much enjoy that field of electronics and find it exciting. Next thing for you would be to pick a suitable MCU, since there's plenty out there to choose from.
Would you be willing to actually make your own PCBs, or are you more inclined on buying ready-made modules?

Zeev Nukvar

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Sounds great thank you!
"basic 5V TTL circuits.
How to make a simple regulator 7805 circuit
LEDs
MCU programming"

Are all of these covered on this site? or a book?

For my first project which is building a smartwatch/wristband i'll use ready-made modules, hopefully i'll know more by then to say if i'd like to create my own PCB :)
Thanks.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sounds great thank you!
"basic 5V TTL circuits.
How to make a simple regulator 7805 circuit
LEDs
MCU programming"

Are all of these covered on this site? or a book?

For my first project which is building a smartwatch/wristband i'll use ready-made modules, hopefully i'll know more by then to say if i'd like to create my own PCB :)
Thanks.
The first three can be easily found in the books section of this site. I feel that the MCU thing, unfortunately, is not covered in an objective way, since too much emphasis on the arduino platform is made.
Have you ever programmed in assembly?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I urge you to be patient. After learning the basic stuff you'll need to understand low-power battery operated circuits, and when you design your first product you will need to use and understand surface mount components. I expect you will be 18-24 months from accomplishing your goal. Don't give up and don't be in too big a hurry. Very few people hit a home run the first time at bat. Concentrate on cranking out reliable singles. Good luck to you and keep asking for advice -- it will save you a great deal of time.

Zeev Nukvar

Joined Nov 7, 2015
I urge you to be patient. After learning the basic stuff you'll need to understand low-power battery operated circuits, and when you design your first product you will need to use and understand surface mount components. I expect you will be 18-24 months from accomplishing your goal. Don't give up and don't be in too big a hurry. Very few people hit a home run the first time at bat. Concentrate on cranking out reliable singles. Good luck to you and keep asking for advice -- it will save you a great deal of time.
I'm aware this is not something to be achieved within a few days, i'm here to make the process as short and as direct as possible, hopefully with the help of this community :)
Even now when you say things like "low-power battery operated circuits" i have no clue what you mean, but i'm dying to know.
I watched few videos months ago on arduino and how simple it is, But it's not useful when it comes to wearable tech(not any tech i heard of).
Never programmed in Assembly, i come from a different background of bigdata, mobile dev, C# and web.
Shouldn't be too hard though.