Social Distancing Problems

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Today again i had a problem with someone who did not want to "social" distance themselves from me and gave me a bunch of bs when i said something about it. This is the second time now at the same store.
Another guy behind a friend of mine was actually coughing and made up some dumb excuse why he didnt even have to wear a mask!

So i am starting to wonder what the law is regarding this. Some people wont do things that are 'recommended' and really are not that hard to do anyway.

Any ideas?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I read an article that said people who refused to wear masks, when it's such a simple thing they could do to help spread the virus, have lower cognitive ability.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/cov...delines-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak-57293

This link credits the research to the University of California:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12116244/people-refuse-wear-face-mask-lower-cognitive-ability/

I had a situation where an old man who didn't notice the way the line was queueing outside of a hardware store parked in the "wrong" place. Instead of maintaining social distancing and going around the line, he walked down the entire line of people at a distance of less than 2 feet. I ,and everyone behind me, was wearing a mask; the clueless man wasn't. The old woman who was controlling traffic into the store said nothing; her job was just to count people and she wasn't doing a very good job.

The last time I was in Walmart, I saw 2 employees wearing masks, but not covering their noses. In another department, I saw a man wearing his mask hanging from his left ear. If any of those people had the virus, but were asymptomatic, they were putting droplets in the air. Apparently ventilation systems can recirculate virus particles.

Some people who intentionally cough on bystanders have been fired because the incidents were posted on social media and their employers became aware of their inappropriate behavior.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@dl324

Rather than rely on yellow-rag journalism for my science, I prefer going to the original source. In this case, it is the PNAS, which has already embarrassed itself (or should have) with a publication about the effectiveness of masks previously cited by me on this forum.

Here's the relevant citation for the current claims: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/07/09/2008868117 Unfortunately, the article you cite in support of your comment requires a subscription to access its methods, results, and analysis. I must assume you have already done that and can post for the rest of us what you consider to be the seminal FACTS as fair use.

1595278192723.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The guy you saw in Walmart was probably Vincent van Gogh. For some reason his mask won't stay on properly.
Keith
He did have two ears. He just thought he was being clever and wearing his mask, but not wearing his mask. Children do this all the time. If you don't give them explicit directions, any wrongdoing on their part isn't their fault. Or maybe he was just rebelling against his boss telling him he needed to wear a mask. Any way you look at it was him acting stupid.

I saw picture of a man wearing a mask where he had cut out most of the mask. Yet another so-called adult acting like a rebellious child.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Or maybe he was just rebelling against his boss telling him he needed to wear a mask.
Reminds me of something that happened to me back in the 1970's. Went into a store that I frequented(partly because of the one girl that worked braless). This day she had on a bra, but it was over her top not under it. Asked her what was up, she said her boss made a rule that all female sales people had to wear a bra. Next time I went in she was no longer employed there.:(

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Reminds me of something that happened to me back in the 1970's. Went into a store that I frequented(partly because of the one girl that worked braless). This day she had on a bra, but it was over her top not under it. Asked her what was up, she said her boss made a rule that all female sales people had to wear a bra. Next time I went in she was no longer employed there.:(
Tell me, was it the early 1970's or late 60's, i.e., Woodstock era?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I read an article that said people who refused to wear masks, when it's such a simple thing they could do to help spread the virus, have lower cognitive ability.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/cov...delines-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak-57293

This link credits the research to the University of California:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12116244/people-refuse-wear-face-mask-lower-cognitive-ability/

I had a situation where an old man who didn't notice the way the line was queueing outside of a hardware store parked in the "wrong" place. Instead of maintaining social distancing and going around the line, he walked down the entire line of people at a distance of less than 2 feet. I ,and everyone behind me, was wearing a mask; the clueless man wasn't. The old woman who was controlling traffic into the store said nothing; her job was just to count people and she wasn't doing a very good job.

The last time I was in Walmart, I saw 2 employees wearing masks, but not covering their noses. In another department, I saw a man wearing his mask hanging from his left ear. If any of those people had the virus, but were asymptomatic, they were putting droplets in the air. Apparently ventilation systems can recirculate virus particles.

Some people who intentionally cough on bystanders have been fired because the incidents were posted on social media and their employers became aware of their inappropriate behavior.
That second one was very interesting, and i had a feeling that was the case. When i told the person politely to step back a little they said "i already had it" so i replied, "Well i didnt", and they replied, "Then we are both safe". Nuts huh? We are both safe? How is that possible when i didnt have it yet?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
What does cognitive ability have to do with whether masks do more good than harm? Perhaps, they just don't follow the herd.

And your evidence for effectiveness is?
Hi,

That's not the question. The question is, if mask may help why dont they wear them. But in this case it is not about the mask, it is about the distance from other people while waiting in line. This person clearly did not realize the benefit of staying farther away.
They even said some stupid things to try to defend their position on it.

As to masks, let's all ask ourselves why doctors wear them when performing surgery.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
He did have two ears. He just thought he was being clever and wearing his mask, but not wearing his mask. Children do this all the time. If you don't give them explicit directions, any wrongdoing on their part isn't their fault. Or maybe he was just rebelling against his boss telling him he needed to wear a mask. Any way you look at it was him acting stupid.

I saw picture of a man wearing a mask where he had cut out most of the mask. Yet another so-called adult acting like a rebellious child.
I saw a cool one, where the person had a small slit in the front where they could slip a straw through and thus drink a beverage without taking off the entire mask.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Wow that's amazing. I guess the male employees had to wear one on their heads then ? :)

If that happened today she could probably sue.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,
That's not the question. The question is, if mask may help why dont they wear them.
Because they also create problems, such as eczema, hyperventilation, and spread of the respiratory goo they collect from the wearers onto stuff they touch. Any intervention MUST be evaluated for positive and negative effects. It is simply dishonest not to do that. As I mentioned in another post, serious eye infections with normal respiratory flora seem to be increased in some mask wearers.
But in this case it is not about the mask, it is about the distance from other people while waiting in line. This person clearly did not realize the benefit of staying farther away.
Did you even read the abstract? It was mostly if not solely about masks. I am waiting for anyone who has access to the original article to present basic facts about the design, data, and conclusions.
As to masks, let's all ask ourselves why doctors wear them when performing surgery.
Because it has been protocol for many decades. The evidence for effectiveness is very weak (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/ ). Perhaps most important, surgeons are not continually adjusting their masks during surgery and then transmitting the collected goo to the patients.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008