Soapbox - Comments on the back of a detergent carton

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
You've got my interest. Is that the right link? For me, it goes to a lengthy description of non-replaceable parts and non-rebuildable washing machines.

John
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Must have been a big soapbox. Moreover, I agree completely.

Maybe that is because I actually enjoy repairing mechanical things, and best yet, doing a little preventive maintenance so the big repair never happens.

Just think, as mileage figures continue to increase, the disposable car with a sealed, non-refillable gas tank can't be far behind. Then all those drivers who can't figure out how to open the gas cap while talking on their cell phones will be relieved of one more, unpleasant chore.

John
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,852
Planned obsolescence taken to it's logical conclusion. Too late for me, I've bought one in the last two years. It would be interesting to see a list of manufactures doing this. If it were really public it might be a major deterrent. Wonder if Consumer Reports has picked up on this?

Back in the late 70's many American car manufacturers were doing something similar. It darn near killed them, and started the downward spiral IMO.
 

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
688
That is nothing new. Things have been heading this direction for years.

Back when I was looking for work in Electronics repair I saw a place with basically new 32" TV's filling a dumpster because full replacement that was the warranty mandated fix for a flaw in the design that probably saved $0.50 per TV but with around 1 in 500 TVs likely to fail in the first year.

Keep in mind that the manufactured cost is enough less than the retail cost, so that this is probably a win for profits.
 

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
The thing I really hate is stuff with non replaceable rechargable batteries. Everyone knows that they will be thrown away in 2 years. I tend to buy as high quality things as possible, and I'm not exactly rich.
Case in point - I bought a tumble drier that was about 3 X the price of a cheap one. Part of the reason was its high energy rating - in the 6 years I've had it I've saved at least twice the cost of the machine in energy over the cheap one, plus it's still going strong and it's likely the cheap one would be in a scrapyard by now.
 

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
You buy the best with warranty ,extended warranty.I have seen in the U.S.
the big box stores that are In the on going sales mode.They move so much
stuff It Is easier to offer you and exchange,once the serviceman says a
part Is not In stock.
 

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
2,595
One of the things I'm (and I'm sure a lot of other people are) beginning to notice is that electronics are no longer built to last.

Take pretty much any motherboard as an example. The caps filtering the 3.3V rail and Vcore rail are rated for 6.3V; which means their lifetime is halved compared to 10V or 16V caps. And my laptop has had so many faults that I doubt I would still be using it had I not purchased the 3 yr extended warranty.
 

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
5,207
One of the things I'm (and I'm sure a lot of other people are) beginning to notice is that electronics are no longer built to last.

WHAT! Sure they are! Just fo r a.. )_g.

[ed]
Sorry. The computer I bought yesterday just died.
[/ed]

;)
 
Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
2,595
I've had two motherboards brought out of service due to bulging or otherwise faulty electrolytic capacitors. Granted, I've owned more than twenty or thirty motherboards over the years, but it's still quite a lot.

A friend of mine had to repair a HP computer. It wouldn't boot, so he contacted HP, and they told him the motherboard was faulty and needed replacement, due to faulty capacitors. The computer was barely used, and about two years old.
 
Top