Smoothing capacitor calculation

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

Could someone please tell me , How to calculate the value of smoothing capacitor for a full wave rectifier if the load is inductive. Does the calculation remain the same as in general???

In my case , I use the rectified DC voltage to drive a H bridge circuit which is switched from 20-80 kHz and the load is a transformer.

Parameters:
V=230 V ac (50 Hz)
Max load current : 5A
Load: Ferrite core transformer

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Need to know what is the peak voltage that the capacitor charges to during the peak of the ac cycle?
Need to know how far the capacitor voltage can sag before it is refilled one-half cycle later?

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Need to know what is the peak voltage that the capacitor charges to during the peak of the ac cycle?
Need to know how far the capacitor voltage can sag before it is refilled one-half cycle later?
Is that a question to me or these are the important factors that influences calculation of the smoothing capacitor??

Could you please explain?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is that a question to me or these are the important factors that influences calculation of the smoothing capacitor??
Both!

You are the designer. Only you know how low the smoothing capacitor can sag, how much ripple the downstream circuit(s) can tolerate.

Last edited: