Smoking Circuitboard Component

SteeleTheShow

Joined Dec 26, 2018
I have a wireless headset and I accidentally plugged the incorrect power cord into the dock. Native it uses a 5V / 1A and I used a 12V /250mA power adapter. It sparked and started smoking so I took it apart to try to fix it and I identified what is hopefully the only damaged component. It has writing on it but I can't identify what it is. The size is approximately 2.5mm x 4mm.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Does anybody know what this is and where I can buy it?

Thanks!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have a wireless headset and I accidentally plugged the incorrect power cord into the dock. Native it uses a 5V / 1A and I used a 12V /250mA power adapter. It sparked and started smoking so I took it apart to try to fix it and I identified what is hopefully the only damaged component. It has writing on it but I can't identify what it is. The size is approximately 2.5mm x 4mm.

View attachment 166470 View attachment 166471 View attachment 166472

Does anybody know what this is and where I can buy it?

Thanks!

Really hard to tell. Can you get a direct shot of the component rather than that far off angled shot?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Possibly a zener or TVS diode to protect against over voltage, just like what happened. The current was too much and it cooked. I'm guessing, but can you tell where the traces from the pads on that device go? Are you able to remove it and see how many pads are under it?