Smoked Transformer?

Sun Tek

Joined Apr 19, 2016
What would cause a new transformer to get smoked?
I bought a new transformer for my furnace that takes 120V down to 24V the Hertz matched that of the existing one, it worked great for about a week and then it tripped a breaker and literally smoked.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What would cause a new transformer to get smoked?
I bought a new transformer for my furnace that takes 120V down to 24V the Hertz matched that of the existing one, it worked great for about a week and then it tripped a breaker and literally smoked.
Short circuit somewhere.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you had to replace the original transformer, there must have been a fault that had developed with time. That fault would still have been present (unless you had since fixed it) when you put the new transformer in: hence the new transformer also failed. You need to locate the fault before replacing the replacement transformer ;).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Transformers almost never commit suicide. You must find the cause before you smoke the next transformer.
If you're a crafty type, you can add a fuse in the 24 volt wire to (maybe) save the transformer.
The last one I did like this, I had 3 fuses hanging on the red wire until the electronic air filter popped its fuse. Then I knew who killed the transformer.

Sun Tek

Joined Apr 19, 2016
I will post a picture of the board.
So you suspect something in the board and not in the 120V powering the transformer?