Small Range Bluetooth Microphone.

Jayz99

Joined Jan 26, 2018
Hi
I am looking to build a microphone that can take in an audio input, amplify it and transmit it to a Bluetooth speaker/earphone.
The aim is to make the microphone setup as small as possible. I want it to be a battery operated device with volume control and a charging port.
If anybody could help me with the list components that I'd need and how I should go about completing the project I'd be extremely grateful.
Cheers.

Jayz99

Joined Jan 26, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
Bluetooth mics are readily available on such sites as Ebay. I doubt you'd make one more cheaply.
Hi,
Thank you for the reply,
Okay, but as a project if I did want to build a Bluetooth mic, would it do if I got a mic, amplified it, connected it's output to a HC-05 and tried connecting to my Bluetooth speaker??
Cheers

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You would also need a 5V supply and some means to convert the amplified signal to a serial data string with the appropriate protocol to interface with the HC-05.

No, an HC-05 would not be of much use to transmit Bluetooth audio to a Bluetooth speaker.

The HC-05 is a Bluetooth device that only uses a SPP (Serial Port Protocol). Basically it act like a serial port to transmit data to another Bluetooth device using SPP as though they were a hardwired connection.

What you want is a Bluetooth device that is capable of using A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). Audio data from your your microphone (a Source) is transmitted via Bluetooth to a Sink (Bluetooth speaker).

Sparkfun has a board based on a BC127 chip that can be used for either SPP or A2DP and I recommend their tutorial as it does a pretty good job of explaining both SPP and A2DP.

Yes, this route is going to be more expensive than just buying a cheap Bluetooth microphone, but as a project and for learning more about the subject matter, it is a reasonable way to go, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Jayz99

Joined Jan 26, 2018
No, an HC-05 would not be of much use to transmit Bluetooth audio to a Bluetooth speaker.

The HC-05 is a Bluetooth device that only uses a SPP (Serial Port Protocol). Basically it act like a serial port to transmit data to another Bluetooth device using SPP as though they were a hardwired connection.

What you want is a Bluetooth device that is capable of using A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). Audio data from your your microphone (a Source) is transmitted via Bluetooth to a Sink (Bluetooth speaker).

Sparkfun has a board based on a BC127 chip that can be used for either SPP or A2DP and I recommend their tutorial as it does a pretty good job of explaining both SPP and A2DP.

Yes, this route is going to be more expensive than just buying a cheap Bluetooth microphone, but as a project and for learning more about the subject matter, it is a reasonable way to go, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Hey Raymond!! Thank you so much for the tip, I will check out the link that you posted and hopefully I can figure it out .
Cheers!!

Jayz99

Joined Jan 26, 2018
You would also need a 5V supply and some means to convert the amplified signal to a serial data string with the appropriate protocol to interface with the HC-05.
Thank you Alec!! I'll look into it, I will update when I a find a breakthrough.