Small motor wiring question.

MonteYou

Joined Nov 13, 2020
Measure resistance between:
White & Black
White & Red
White & Blue

White is the common point of all three motor core windings. Each core is different in terms of how much power is applied. The lowest resistance will be the highest RPM, the highest will be the lowest RPM. Medium is in between both.
Thanks for the help. With that as a guide, I determined that the black wire is Fast, red is Medium, and blue is Slow. I will proceed accordingly.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Measure resistance between:
White & Black
White & Red
White & Blue

White is the common point of all three motor core windings. Each core is different in terms of how much power is applied. The lowest resistance will be the highest RPM, the highest will be the lowest RPM. Medium is in between both.
Totally correct, Tony. Thanks for answering the TS. And it seems that my guess was off a bit.
Be sure to isolate and insulate the unused wires.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Definitely.

Even though you're only using one of the three sets of windings the other two will act like a transformer and will have hazardous voltages on each of them.
In fact, if you are powering the high speed wire, the lowest speed wire will have a much higher voltage on it, a lot more than your mains supply voltage.