Sliding Garage Gate Control Motor Specifications

vaibh_p

Joined Jan 11, 2020
Hello AAC Members,

I am designing Sliding Gate Controller for my Garage gate.

I have a very little knowledge on Motors so need help in selection of motors.

Following are some points required for motor selection :
1. Sliding Gate Weight will be approx. 200 - 250 Kg.
2. Motor RPM should be around 30 RPM.
3. Motor will operate in both Clockwise and Anticlockwise direction.

Also I am not getting any 30 RPM AC motor , so do I need to install gears for reducing the RPM ?

Any help will be appreciable , Thanks.
Vaibhav

vaibh_p

Joined Jan 11, 2020
Yes, it will be a "gear motor". With so many purpose-built options, can I ask why you are starting from scratch?
Thanks Yaakov for replying.

First thing , this is one of the module or a part of my Home Automation.
It will share data with the local sensor network , that's why I want the code to be easily customized.

Moreover I want to get my hands on Motor interfacing and another factor is the Cost of the entire setup.

Please share the links if you know for this motor selection and interfacing.

Thank you.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Not to belabor the point but I think you will find it is likely the same cost or cheaper to buy a pre-made opener. If you have all the mechanical work done for you, you can always rip out their controls and put in your own.

Learning to control motors is a nice goal, and you can do that without the extra burden of working out the mechanism. Searching for "sliding gate opener" gets me a lot of low cost options.

But, as far as your question about the motor, searching for "30rpm reversible gear motor" gets plenty of results, with this as an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-120W-...-reduction-controller-1-30-45RPM/402639147974

The reason I am encouraging you to consider the complete opener is that you will have to solve many other problems in controlling the motor and adding the mechanical design greatly complicates things.

If you want to go that way, you are going to have to work out how your mechanism will operate in order to specify the motor. The mechanical advantage of your actual opening mechanism will be a large factor in choosing a motor, the weight of the gate is not enough information.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
By the way, there are a few motor experts here and when it comes down to selecting one they can be very helpful. If you do choose a complete opener with the intention of replacing the control circuity, they can help there too.

vaibh_p

Joined Jan 11, 2020
Thanks a lot Yaakov , I will search more on the internet for the available solutions and then will reverse engineer it once found.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks a lot Yaakov , I will search more on the internet for the available solutions and then will reverse engineer it once found.
Sounds good. Reverse engineering a successful product is a great way to figure out how to do things, even if you are going to do them yourself.

The classic sci-fi author, Robert Heinlein said "That's the way with writers; they'll steal anything, file off the serial numbers, and claim it for their own." Engineering has the same tradition.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Regarding the mechanical side of the project, providing safety mechanisms to prevent anyone being injured by the gate will be important.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Regarding the mechanical side of the project, providing safety mechanisms to prevent anyone being injured by the gate will be important.
Another reason for using an existing solution, to be sure. I am usually the one whinging about safety, thanks for catching that Alec!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
An off the shelf idea would be to adapt and modify a normal Up-and-over door opener.
You have all the attributes, manual, remote, auto stop if obstructed, simple L.S. mount for extreme position.
Also easily powered with your existing service.
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
An off the shelf idea would be to adapt and modify a normal Up-and-over door opener.
You have all the attributes, manual, remote, auto stop if obstructed, simple L.S. mount for extreme position.
Also easily powered with your existing service.
Max.
Two things: it needs a weatherproof housing. The off the shelf gate openers cost about as much asa good door opener and have both the housing and a purpose built drive.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Still. when you factor in your time and the cost of materials etc, The cost of a off the shelf unit would be my first choice. ;)
Max.
I can't tell if we are agreeing. I am advocating for the off the shelf gate opener. The garage door opener could be adapted but it would requiring working out how to move the gate with it, and the weatherproof housing while the gate opener is already... a gate opener and costs about the same price.

I do think what you suggest is feasible and would be a good adaptation if you already had one around, though.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I was commenting that either way, the off-the shelf was the easiest and most likely, the cheapest, or close.
I have worked on garage doors but not the sliding variety.