Single phase induction motor

noor069

Joined Oct 1, 2011
Hi. I am doing a project in single phase induction motor speed control by analog electronics. could anyone please help me by a circuits. similar like closs loop speed control by an op-amps. Thanks.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
you are going to have trouble varying the speed of a singe phase induction motor, with any circuit. The capacitor is sized for 60hz. I imagine you will have all kinds of wacky results trying to vary the frequency to it. There's a reason why variable speed motor applications are either DC or 3phase AC.

noor069

Joined Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I understood what you mean. That’s why I Couldn’t find much details about it in internet. But how some domestic single phase motors were controlled the speed.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
most multi-speed AC home appliances use "universal motors" - basically just a DC series wound motor that works on AC.
check this out:
With a universal ac motor, speed control is simple, since electric motor speed is sensitive to both voltage and flux changes. With a rheostat or adjustable autotransformer, ac motor speed can be readily varied from top speed to zero.