Simple fm receiver with strange problems

Lolrapa

Joined Sep 19, 2018
Hello, I've made this circuit out of a circuit I found in the web.
rad.jpg
It is made in a pcb.
The values insinde the boxes are the real components i've used since I dont have that component value.
The idea is to make a channel to speak like a walkie talkie, but since I have no experience with RF I've decided to make a simple fm radio to start.
The antenna is 4 naked wires of a common copper cable twisted, it's 75cm long (2' 5").
It kind of works, I can hear the radio stations really soft under a lot of noise. Besides the radio station frequency changes really easily (when I move or when i touch the antenna). Even hovering my hand over the circuit changes the station.

VC1 Is a trimmer capacitor from 5.2 to 30pf
L1 is made of 8 turns of 22swg wire with 4.7mm inner radius air core.

Why is my circuit so susceptible to interference?
Thank you!

Edit: I've been tested and I notice I can use the antenna as a dial. If I press the antenna and move my finger along it I can change between stations and if I find the right spot I can hear the station really clear.

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
OK then it's working.
Main reason for the interference is the low gain and no filtering or selectivity at the antenna input.
You must realize that by touching the antenna the circuit is reacting to your body capacitance, changing the tuning and using your body as an antenna.
SG

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Definitely non-conventional, but I think I have seen that circuit before long ago. Do you have a link to the original? Do they really specify 2N3904's? Those wouldn't be my choice at 100 MHz.

Lolrapa

Joined Sep 19, 2018
Definitely non-conventional, but I think I have seen that circuit before long ago. Do you have a link to the original? Do they really specify 2N3904's? Those wouldn't be my choice at 100 MHz.
You are right, in the original circuit the designer used BF494 and BF495, I couldn't get those, so I checked for similar gain and band width and came up with 2N3904. Is that a mistake?

Here is the link to the original circuit
https://electronicsforu.com/electronics-projects/simple-fm-receiver

Lolrapa

Joined Sep 19, 2018
OK then it's working.
Main reason for the interference is the low gain and no filtering or selectivity at the antenna input.
You must realize that by touching the antenna the circuit is reacting to your body capacitance, changing the tuning and using your body as an antenna.
SG
I've been doing some research and I found a similar reply to a similar problem. It said the antenna was too bad and the signal from it to low thats why when I touch it I interfere with the signal.
Should I make a dipole antenna with coaxil? The idea behind all this was to make a device to comunnicate using fm, handies doesn't use dipole I think.

Lolrapa

Joined Sep 19, 2018
OK then it's working.
SG
Ok, I'll try to improve the antenna somehow.

Another question, the low pass filter conformed by R1 and C4 (wich I think is filtering high frequency noise), with the capacitor I had (10nF) has a cutoff frequency of 1600~ hz, is that too low? I mean it is filtering audible spectrum and thus reducing the output volume?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It appears to be a minimal implementation of a regenerative detector, which is a circuit either just oscillating or on the verge of oscillating , that is varied a bit by the incoming signal from the antenna. They used to be quite common around 1950 and that era. It works BUT it is also radiating a signal that will interfere with the reception of the more modern and more sensitive receivers.
I am amazed at all of the guesses already posted.