Signal sampling

alitronic

Joined Jun 13, 2020
Good morning
a continuous time signal x(t) is obtained in the output of an ideal low-pass filter with wc=1000 pi.
If a sampling with a pulse train is done on x(t) which of these sampling period is the most appropriate to recuperate x(t) from the sampled signal.
a) T=0.5 10^(-3) s
b) T=2 10^(-3) s
c) T= 10^(-4) s
My answer was both a and c.
Is my answer correct?
Thank you for your help.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I'll assume "wc" is really \(\omega_c\), the cutoff frequency of a brick-wall filter. If ω=1000π, then f=500Hz
Sampling periods are 500μs, 2ms and 100μs, sampling rates of 2kHz, 500Hz and 10kHz respectively.
Whilst both a and c are appropriate, semantically, only one of them can be the most appropriate, so it would have to be c, because it would make the design of the reconstruction filter a little bit easier than a.

alitronic

Joined Jun 13, 2020
I'll assume "wc" is really \(\omega_c\), the cutoff frequency of a brick-wall filter. If ω=1000π, then f=500Hz
Sampling periods are 500μs, 2ms and 100μs, sampling rates of 2kHz, 500Hz and 10kHz respectively.
Whilst both a and c are appropriate, semantically, only one of them can be the most appropriate, so it would have to be c, because it would make the design of the reconstruction filter a little bit easier than a.
Thank you
I would like to know why the design with a period of 100μs is more simple.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Thank you
I would like to know why the design with a period of 100μs is more simple.
Because you need the most attenuation possible at half the sampling frequency. If your signal is bandwidth-limited to 500Hz, then it is easier to design the filter. With either 10kHz or 2kHz sampling rate your filter passband is 500Hz, so you need a steeper slope to achieve the desired attenuation by 2kHz than by 10kHz.

alitronic

Joined Jun 13, 2020
Because you need the most attenuation possible at half the sampling frequency. If your signal is bandwidth-limited to 500Hz, then it is easier to design the filter. With either 10kHz or 2kHz sampling rate your filter passband is 500Hz, so you need a steeper slope to achieve the desired attenuation by 2kHz than by 10kHz.
Tahnk you