Should we all be wearing grounding wrist straps?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I don't know what to make of this article in the Journal of Inflammation Research:

The effects of grounding (earthing) on inflammation, the immune response, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases

It's a long article, but the gist of it is that the authors claim that many of our chronic health problems today stem from the fact that (don't laugh, now) most of us these days walk around in shoes with electrically-insulating soles that prevent electrons from the Earth's surface from flowing into our bodies and conveying all kinds of wonderful health benefits via their magical properties.

Seriously, I'm not making this up.

According to the authors, these benefits include improved sleep; reduction of pain after injury or strenuous exercise; reduction of stress; improved immune response; acceleration of wound healing in diabetics; and remediation of autoimmune disorders. The authors "propose that skin contact with the surface of the Earth allows Earth’s electrons to spread over the skin surface and into the body. One route to the body interior could be via acupuncture points and meridians. The meridians are known to be low resistance pathways for the flow of electrical currents." Back when we all went barefoot, or wore shoes with leather soles we didn't have these health problems nearly as much, because the Earth's electrons could flow freely into our bodies.

Everything in my education and experience, after nearly 60 years in electronics-- first as a hobbyist, then a technician, then as an engineer-- tells me this is nothing more than superstitious pseudo-scientific New Age mumbo-jumbo akin to 1980's fads such as "pyramid power" and the magical, health-promoting properties of crystals.

What do you think?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I walk barefoot when ever possible. I don't know why I like it. I'm not sure if my motivation is that I like walking barefoot or if I hate wearing shoes. Anyhow, It drives my wife crazy - seeing my bare feet in the grass, on the sidewalk, even driving. Thanks for the article - I will use it to my advantage.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
While a wrist strap will work, I prefer a platinum ankle cuff attached via a silver plated oxygen-free copper bonding cable to a short length of replaceable stainless steel drag chain. This keeps the hands free and prevents unhealthy triboelectric charging during wrist strap bonding point changeovers. :rolleyes:

The GoFindMe campaign I've started to set up production of fashionable Anklers™ will bring this new healthful technology to the masses at an affordable price. We will also offer monthly maintenance contracts that include unlimited drag chain replacement and cuff customization. ;)

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
LOL!

The business model may have to be adjusted, though, especially the projected selling price: there's some competition.

There are oodles of glowing testimonials at a web site affiliated with the company employing these "researchers," though, so there's definitely a market; maybe we could get in edgewise with some sort of gimmick (e.g., the gold plating on the clip).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
LOL!

The business model may have to be adjusted, though, especially the projected selling price: there's some competition.

There are oodles of glowing testimonials at a web site affiliated with the company employing these "researchers," though, so there's definitely a market; maybe we could get in edgewise with some sort of gimmick (e.g., the gold plating on the clip).
Like the competition. Now we have a benchmark - I'm sure we can claim that the different values of our product are BETTER and that superiority justifies the 100x price delta.