Should I hot glue this component?

reoxlee

Joined Jan 1, 2022
InShot_20220101_134620054.jpg
Hi, I have this item with a component inside which keeps detach like it the photo. It has a wire coil. Can I put hot glue on it or just tape it? Will it affect its function? Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The component is an inductor. It consists of a coil of wire wound around a ferrite core. The circuit design calls for a certain amount of inductance.

The ferrite core is broken. You need to replace the whole inductor if you want to have the correct inductance as the original.

reoxlee

Joined Jan 1, 2022
The component is an inductor. It consists of a coil of wire wound around a ferrite core. The circuit design calls for a certain amount of inductance.

The ferrite core is broken. You need to replace the whole inductor if you want to have the correct inductance as the original.
Thanks. I did replaced it. But can I put hot glue on it to prevent this from happening again? Or just tape it? Will it affect its function?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Hot melt glue is the maker's friend.
Not when you get a dollop of it on your finger.

reoxlee Welcome to AAC.

The better approach is to understand why it's breaking in the first place then eliminate the condition. If high shock and vibration were a problem - assuming the board has been designed by smart engineers they would have come up with a more robust method of mounting and securing it.

Given that it is already broken, the only solution is to do as you did - replace it. If this is the first time it has ever broken then I wouldn't worry about making it break-proof. If it's one of those things that keep breaking then first solve the reason why it's breaking. Then you shouldn't have to secure it any further than its original design. But if the part continues to break then securing it with mechanical means would be advisable. Hot Melt Glue (HMG) will be OK. But the thing I'd worry about with HMG is the thermal shock the ferrite core is seeing. It could fracture and present as a premature failure yet again. I'd opt for an Ultra Violet epoxy. No heat, no thermal expansion and contraction. You put the epoxy on the component then expose it to a UV light source. Typically those kits come with a UV pen. With the nature of ferrite core coils I'd opt to stay away from HMG.