Shifting 110v AC mains by 180 degrees

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A pair of 15A 110V outlets that share a neutral and are normally on different phases would potentially put 25A (the generator max) on the shared neutral if I maxed the outlets, probably more than the wires typically used for a 15A oulet would handle safely.
Possible but highly unlikely. Given your limited generator capacity I have doubts you would ever be loading it up to its full 3000 watt capacity and only doing so with just two circuits at the same time.

If you want to put a transformer on the system you certainly can but from my view its a pointless waste of money until an actual problem shows up to justify it.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
3 KW isn't enough to power 2 window AC units. It may run them, but it probably won't start them. It's hardly enough to power a refrigerator and a freezer. 3 Kw of power is so miniscule, it isn't even worth considering hooking up to your house wiring. Just buy some 12 gauge extention cords and power essential loads as required.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
3 KW isn't enough to power 2 window AC units. It may run them, but it probably won't start them. It's hardly enough to power a refrigerator and a freezer. 3 Kw of power is so miniscule, it isn't even worth considering hooking up to your house wiring. Just buy some 12 gauge extention cords and power essential loads as required.
Our window units are small (5000btu I think) and take about 800w each once they're running, I don't remember what the refrigerator takes but it's less than the AC units. Using our current 4kw unit, when any 2 are running, there is plenty of power left to start the 3rd as well as run a few lights inside and outside the house. After more than 3 total weeks on generator power (1 week after each of the last 3 hurricanes plus various random outages in between) I haven't had 2 try to start simultaneously, or if they did it didn't cause any problems. With the 3kw I'll probably have to be more mindful of turning off lights, etc.. to keep enough headroom available for starting the AC units and fridge.

In contrast, the AC unit in my trailer (15000btu) does take a chunk to start up, and right about 2kw to run. The window units that we install in the house during outages are much smaller.

With it wired directly to your house, not only can you use your lights and small appliances like normal (microwave, computer, internet, ceiling fans, outlets for phone chargers, etc..), but you can also lock up your house and turn the alarm on at night when you're sleeping. So even if you've only got a small amount of power, wiring direct to the house is really nice. Yes generator theft after storms is a problem too, so I keep it chained and have an alarm inside my house that sounds when the generator stops producing power.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Our window units are small (5000btu I think) and take about 800w each once they're running,
Air conditioners require about 7X to 10X their run current to start. Even a good 5000 BTU window shaker pulls about 3.5KW for a few tenths of one second to start. If your generator is being successful, it is a much better unit than what I am used to seeing.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Our window units are small (5000btu I think) and take about 800w each once they're running, I don't remember what the refrigerator takes but it's less than the AC units
Well then obviously in this real world worst case scenario you are still nowhere near the limits of what a 12 or even 14 ga wire can handle continuously thus once again negating the justification for the transformer. :p