'Severe' Alerts on Cell Phones

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Yesterday and today i was surprised to see that i was getting these 'severe' alerts on my cell relentlessly one after the other.
I had to go into settings to turn off 'severe' alerts because i was getting the SAME alert every 15 minutes, sometimes 1 minute later another came in of the same message.

I have to wonder who the heck sends these severe alert messages. Dont they realize that if you tell someone at 1pm that there is a flood warning that you dont have to tell them again at 1:15pm and then again at 1:30pm, etc.

So i HAD to shut them off, and that means that i cant get them now if there is another warning in say a week or so.
I do need to get them because we live in a high probability flood zone where i have to know not to drive too far down into town or i might get stuck.
One year i didnt know and almost got stuck in a flash flood, i had just enough time to turn and go up to higher ground.
If there was a way to disable for say 1 day or something that would be better, but i dont see that option. Thus i have to remember to turn it back on later.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Not everyone will get the alert first, second or even third time.

You are as you say in a high probability flood zone so if it was me I'd be grateful to receive them?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Not everyone will get the alert first, second or even third time.

You are as you say in a high probability flood zone so if it was me I'd be grateful to receive them?
Hi,

That's an interesting viewpoint yes.

My view was that i was sitting here peacefully working on a new program and suddenly i got an alert. That was fine with me. But then as soon as i hit "OK" or whatever it was, i got another one two seconds later so i had to pick up the phone and hit "OK" again. Then 15 minutes later same thing, then another 15, etc. Since the alerts started at somewhere around 6pm and the alert said up to 10pm, that would mean that i would have to put up with as many as 16 such "pick up the phone and hit OK" alerts ha ha.
This happened yesterday too but i did not know i could turn that off then so it was very annoying.
I think anyone here would appreciate the alert one or even two times, but not all darn night ha ha.
I have read that some people complain that it goes off when they are sleeping. That did not happen to me yet.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Another country heard from.

I’d rather get the alerts all night long. Otherwise, I might assume that the danger was over and head out when I should stay put.

Sure, it might happen often one night. But my experience is that it’ll be days or weeks before the next one.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Another country heard from.

I’d rather get the alerts all night long. Otherwise, I might assume that the danger was over and head out when I should stay put.

Sure, it might happen often one night. But my experience is that it’ll be days or weeks before the next one.

Same thing last night :)