Servo motor for a reflow controller

electrophile

Joined Aug 30, 2013
This may seem like a very broad question but here goes. I'm trying to select a servo motor that pushes a reflow oven's door open to aid the cooling process. Can anybody help me understand how much torque would be needed to tip the door open.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
My crystal ball has misted over.
How heavy is the door? What dimensions? Top-hinged or side-hinged? Latching mechanism? Spring-loaded? Power supply?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can measure it with a spring scale for e.g.
If you want precise positioning for temp. control using a servo motor you would need feedback via PID loop.
Depends how precise you need it.
Max.

electrophile

Joined Aug 30, 2013
My crystal ball has misted over.
How heavy is the door? What dimensions? Top-hinged or side-hinged? Latching mechanism? Spring-loaded? Power supply?
Ah well! Lets see... Door is about 12" x 7", bottom hinged (on the long edge), spring loaded. Power supply is a 5V 2A wall wart.

You can measure it with a spring scale for e.g.
If you want precise positioning for temp. control using a servo motor you would need feedback via PID loop.
Depends how precise you need it.
Max.
Don't really need much precision actually. The servo just opens the door to cool the oven a little faster and once the temp reaches a certain point it releases and the 'ajar' door shuts back. The software monitors the temp and controls the servo. I'm wondering if I should just open the door manually to cool it :)