Forum Suggestion Series capacitance inquiry 120vdc bridge rectifier, smoothing capacitor

bneuberger

Joined Sep 16, 2016
I posted an illegal thread, which was made clear to me. I did read the guidelines about direct driving LEDs from mains, but in my ignorance thought that meant applying AC line power directly to a "dc" LED.
My circuit contains a circuit breaker, and fuse to prevent over current by potential component failure.
- so on to my point.

My thread was closed, but I don't think closing the thread serves anyones interest. I believe it should have been pointed out that the thread was indeed in violation as well as a suggestion, such as an isolation transformer, GFI, etc. If no alternative solution is available then at least post the dangers or reasoning why this circuit is not allowed. By closing the thread you will not prevent that person from continuing their curiosity and being potentially harmed through ignorance.

BERTUS sums it up the best in his signature:

you don't have to know everything, if you know where to find it.
*When you do ask questions, you may look stupid.
*When you do NOT ask questions, you will STAY stupid. <- I asked and am still stupid

can we please reopen the thread if only for one administrative post in regards to safety please.

I apologize for violating the rules, I truly did not perceive a problem.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The circuit will be directly connected to the mains, wich will be dangerous.
There is no isolation transformer.
When you want to power 5 times a 12 volts led strip, use a correct 12 volts power supply.

Bertus

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
The circuit will be directly connected to the mains, wich will be dangerous.
There is no isolation transformer.
So secondary circuits of isolation transformer are totally safe no matter voltage and current just as long as it's isolated from totally evil line? And what if part of secondary is grounded too? Ok, whatever:rolleyes: So _pole pig_ is isolation transformer but that doesn't count, right?

Bneuberger it's less stressful around here if you just forget abt rhyme and reason and just accept it's the rule they feel like enforcing at the moment and really not personal to you at all:)!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
And what if part of secondary is grounded too?
So _pole pig_ is isolation transformer but that doesn't count, right?
The distinction lies in the fact that the distribution transformer is already grounded whereas a PSU transformer's secondary is ungrounded 'by default' and, generally (where 'nube' projects are concerned), at less hazardous potentials and significantly lower current capacity/availability:)

Hey @Aleph(0) --- In fairness to site policy please remember that any perceived 'illogic' is merely a reflection of the galloping 'illogic' vested in 'tort law'! -- IOW The site does what it must to 'survive' in the present, increasingly litigious, environment -- From another perspective such policy is the 'price' to be paid for 'open access' to all interested parties -- Which being, IMO, fair enough...:)

@Aleph(0) -- Based upon 'timing' and inasmuch as your post on this thread is not 'characteristic' of you - I feel justified in requesting that you please refrain from taking your anger toward me out on others!:rolleyes:

Sincerely
HP