Serial comm using pic16f877a....

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi,

I have readied the datasheet for serial communication but it is going over my head, so i need your help for building a serial comm to PC just for now i want to control single led with PC...

thanks

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Do you have a device that allows you to connect the PIC to the computer, like a USB to TTL converter, Bus Pirate, Bluetooth module, RS-232 to TTL, or anything of the ilk?

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
OK, buying from ebay will take week and i want to complete my project in few days...
so, can we go with MAX232 or anything else like Bluetooth device??

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
OK, buying from ebay will take week and i want to complete my project in few days...
so, can we go with MAX232 or anything else like Bluetooth device??
The Bluetooth device requires a TTL UART interface, not just any Bluetooth module will work...I've used these little guys for simple projects...

The MAX232 will allow a computer's serial port to be connected to the PIC.

Here're some resources to look at:
ehow

Another Source

The datasheet(see page 17)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
That module seems to use the same chipset add the one I mentioned. As such, it should work.

I understand what you want to do, that is the topic of the thread and had been discussed up to now...

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
1.) buy the module suggested

2.) plug the module in to the PIC. Rx of module to TX of PIC and TX if module to Rx of PIC

3.) write program that will use the PIC's UART module to send data, with the correct configuration (baud rate, stop bits, parity, etc.) to be compatible with the USB to TTL module.

4.) use a terminal program (i.e. hyperterminal or TeraTerm) to connect to the virtual COM port that is created for the USB to TTL-again, with the same configuration add both the PIC and USB to TTL module are using and watch the data stream.