Sensors for a boat

em_cardc

Joined Apr 5, 2016
Good day everyone, I just wanted some tips on a project I'm building and I would like advice. The part I need help with is: I want to build a little boat that
can pick up thrash on the sea and I would like to know what types of sensors could I use for avoiding it to crash and if it can be programmable using
the MSP432. Thank you in advance

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What are you afraid of crashing into, land? Ships? Radar would be useful for the latter. GPS and a chart is how you avoid the former. Getting the robot boat to return with its trash to a central 'dump' will also require GPS, I think.

This is a challenging project! I suspect you might be able to find floating debris using sonar but I have no personal experience with sonar, or the chip you named. I know you'll probably get in trouble for using sonar at too high a power level.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I want to build a little boat
If it's 'small' then (a) it's unlikely to damage anything it runs into (so fitting sensors would be of little or no benefit) and (b) no amount of sensors will prevent it being smashed by a large boat running into it.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Good day everyone, I just wanted some tips on a project I'm building and I would like advice. The part I need help with is: I want to build a little boat that
can pick up thrash on the sea and I would like to know what types of sensors could I use for avoiding it to crash and if it can be programmable using
Not to throw water on the idea, but a 'little' autonomous boat is more at risk from the waves and storm and such than anything else. It may stay afloat, but will likely capsize and become trash itself. If you put it out into shipping lanes it will get run over by tanker so large there is nothing it can do to avoid them or the wake.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Yes, it's a problem with small boats and half floating sea containers. ( 6knts hit corner of container 80% chance of a big hole in boat)
The only thing is to use a depth sensor but mounted horizontally acting as a surface radar. However distance is limited and reaction to alarm subject to speed of ship.
Use radar for higher objects 1mtr++ above sea level.

Picbuster

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not to throw water on the idea, but a 'little' autonomous boat is more at risk from the waves and storm and such than anything else. It may stay afloat, but will likely capsize and become trash itself. If you put it out into shipping lanes it will get run over by tanker so large there is nothing it can do to avoid them or the wake.
And if it is "small", how much trash is it going to be able to pick up?

A noble project but realyt doesn't work in the real world.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
http://sailing-barrelboat.mozello.lv/ contains a rather detailed thoughts about how it ought be made on the small yacht. Yet it is written by Latvian, You may use a Google translate, thus I bet it is worth to spend a time to read it through.
The main points: `mapography` must be within stationary electronic maps as the sea has no internet connection. Good maps in e-format are far more expensive as paper maps what are just expensive. There yet exists a some three or four cheap choices, the only cost-less and still good is tablet computer (laptop will damage the HDD in waves) thus the limitations referring to any Jawascript based software like Android. Only Android map soft what works well is ORUX map engine on OpenSeaMap cartography layers. However in the article is discussed a details about both those thingy gaps and faults.
Other is themes about transmitter and it best antennas (two different constructions). Third theme is about navigation LED lights, what a power, how to feed etc. Fourth is about energosystem - co-working of wind-turbine with solar cell (whilst staying), engine alternator (if motor is on), accumulator A*h minimum needs, and water-turbine generator (if sail is on).
The surplus is discussed the wind-meter and acustolocation device choices. Logically, the US wind sensor is the best, but is it worth the few thousands what it pays? Or simple wind meters of newton halfspheres, turbine, or just lamelle with horisontal axle?
Thus, feel free to surf there.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""If it's 'small' then (a) it's unlikely to damage anything it runs into (so fitting sensors would be of little or no benefit) and (b) no amount of sensors will prevent it being smashed by a large boat running into it.""
Firstly, You may know of nearby ships as the 99% of large vessels has direct satellite system showing in the internet where is the exact location and even the ship name.
Secondly, even small boat may have a marine standard passing LED lights, what hardly diminishes a crash probability in the dark time. And every even smallest boat may ware a radar mirror on the mast, what makes the boat visible by radar units. And last is radio, what in case of low antenna works just a few km distance, thus the automatic monitoring channel activity means that large vessel will answer, it means it stays damn near.
Yet I have captains licence for 28 meter long vessel with no region limit, I have no much experience on sea except the boating in very dangerous mountain shiver-rivers, but how far I understand, there are enough a technical means to stay safe on the sea. The most dangerous for small boats are waves, especially the killer-waves, if they are longer than boat sizes, but the life jacket is the demand, and safety-miniboat o the board.