Sensorless BLDC controller/driver help

esBLDCmotor

Joined May 29, 2018
Hi, I trying to compare a couple of sensorless BLDC motors with a couple of driver boards I got from a friend; STEVAL-IHM043V1 and a Moowell MBP-4SO but can't seem to get these to run the motors. The motors are 2 pole with kV ranging from 1000-2000RPM/V and rated for 24-48VDC range. The specs on the driver boards should be more than enough to run the motors but I can't seem to figure how to drive these motors correctly. The best I could get is 16,600RPM on the STEVAL-IHM043V1 around 8V on the 24V motor and 17V on the 48V motor, if the voltage is increased after 16,600RPM the motor vibrates more and the RPMs drop.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STEVAL-IHM043V1/497-14500-ND/4759372

On the Moowell MBP-4SO, the motor would rotate and stall no matter what I do, it never rotates pass 90°. But when connected to a motor with hall sensors it runs smooth and effortlessly.
http://moowell.cn/index.php?c=content&a=show&id=291
Google Translated Technical Parameters:
1. Product Name:Three PhaseDC Brushless Motor Driver Board MBP4S0
2. Operating voltage range: 17~50V
3. Maximum continuous current: 7A
4. The maximum instantaneous current: 15A
5. Hall angle: Hall 60 degrees / 120 degrees, or without Hall
6. Speed control mode: 0~5V analog input
0~100% PWM input (PWM frequency above 10kHz)
7. Speed range: 0~60000 revolutions

I have also tried hand spinning it from the start but didn't work either, what am I missing here? I'm pretty new to motors, so any help would be appreciated.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Does the Moowell board have a way of inputting whether the motor's Hall sensors are of the 60° type or the 120°type or non-existent?
What PWM frequency are you using for the control?
Is the motor current always less than the rated maximum 15A?

esBLDCmotor

Joined May 29, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
Does the Moowell board have a way of inputting whether the motor's Hall sensors are of the 60° type or the 120°type or non-existent?
What PWM frequency are you using for the control?
Is the motor current always less than the rated maximum 15A?
I was hoping for a jumper on the board but there is no inputting on the board and the Moowell website did not mention anything to put it into the different hall modes.

Using a 0-5V adjustment with a potentiometer and adjusting the voltage for speed control.

The power supply is always under 1amp.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If the power supply is limited to 1A, that could be throttling the motor. Perhaps motor peak current is above the rated current and can be handled correctly when Hall sensors are present, but not at start-up while the controller is trying to work out rotor position?

esBLDCmotor

Joined May 29, 2018
If the power supply is limited to 1A, that could be throttling the motor. Perhaps motor peak current is above the rated current and can be handled correctly when Hall sensors are present, but not at start-up while the controller is trying to work out rotor position?
Variable power supply is 5A, I also tried a 24V power supply rated at 12.5A and did the same thing, so far I tried 2 power supplies, 3 different motors and 3 different controller/drivers; 1 driver worked up to 16,600RPM, 1 spun for a couple of seconds, and 1 spun about 90deg. I assume its got something to do with getting the feeback of the back EMF, all the motors are within the specs of the drivers, so I'm lost on what to do next. Is there a better motor controller/driver that I can get to compare motors that is less trouble out there?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm lost on what to do next.
And I'm running out of suspects :).
Are you using a star ground system and good supply decoupling, so that heavy motor currents aren't affecting the controller and its ability to determine rotor position from the back-EMF values?