Sensor that can determine whether a person is standing or falling

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
Hi i am doing a project that requires me to check whether a user is standing or lying on the floor. If the user is lying on the floor for around 10 second, a buzzer will be activated. However, i am not sure what sensor can help me to do this, any idea?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
hi,
You have not said where on the persons body you plan to mount the sensor.?

A very cheap option would be:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...hannel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hZ71U6m2J8GN7Ab6noDICQ

It would consume zero power while the user is standing, say chest mounted.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...&istBid=tzit&gclid=CLf2mb7qo8ACFQRs2wod6XMAAA

E
I don't think this will be that easy.
The switch as you mentioned that it should be carry on the user, but I think the op needs from outside to sense the user.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Maybe you can using two PIRs to sense the user, one for long distance that the user laying on floor, another for user standing.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Maybe you can using two PIRs to sense the user, one for long distance that the user laying on floor, another for user standing.
A PIR will only detect a human/animal who is moving within the PIR's coverage, not anyone who is not moving.

I don't think this will be that easy.
The switch as you mentioned that it should be carry on the user, but I think the op needs from outside to sense the user.
I am assuming the 'user' could be in any location, not a particular room.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
A PIR will only detect a human/animal who is moving within the PIR's coverage, not anyone who is not moving.

I am assuming the 'user' could be in any location, not a particular room.
In the beginning that I also thought the PIR maybe not suit for this, but after thinking deeper, the man who laying, but he still could be moving his body, and then the sensor can be detect him, this just a idea, if I know more details maybe could going further.

Set up more PIRs for more places to detect the man who was in the room, I have had suggested someone to make a matrix as 4x4 and 5x5 to detecting a big place.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We need more information. Pressure sensitive flooring? Mercury switch in the user's pocket? Pay an observer to watch the user?

There are infinite solutions when there are zero specifications.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe a tilt SW with 45 deg. to 60 deg. trip feeding something like a missing pulse detector so that if SW is open for more than 10 sec. alarm would aound. Mount on belt.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Hi i am doing a project that requires me to check whether a user is standing or lying on the floor. If the user is lying on the floor for around 10 second, a buzzer will be activated. However, i am not sure what sensor can help me to do this, any idea?
Many possibilities, one of which can be a mercury or non-mercury tilt switch feeding a simple transistor switch circuit which in turn triggers a 10 second timer with output switching on the buzzer, or a 555 circuit with the tilt switch as trigger.
Question: What happens to the output? Does it feed the buzzer directly or is the buzzer in a remote location?