Seeking advice on soldering closely spaced pins

darrough

Joined Jan 18, 2015
I have a switch which has a 3 X 2 array of pins. The pins are spaced maybe 3/32 apart. I wish to use this switch with a solderless breadboard. Because the pins are in an array I cannot insert the switch directly into the breadboard as it shorts the either the columns or the rows. I tried soldering wires to the pins, but this did not go well, as there was not enough space.

Any advice on soldering wires to pins that are spaced 1/16 or 3/32? Is there an alternative?

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
In my present state, I'd probably use a bigger switch for breadboarding purposes, and solder solid #22 or #24 wires to the pins. But I'm getting older, and don't have as precise soldering skills as when I was young.

But if I had to make do with the part at hand, I'd tin all of the pins of the switch with solder first, then tin all the tips of the wires I intended to connect, leaving a little ball of solder on the lead, if possible. If I had a 3rd hand tool, I'd use it, as well as fine solder and a fine tip iron if I had it. I'd also remember that it's just a breadboard, and doesn't have to last or look pretty, so if the pin had a big blob of solder on it, that would be ok, as long as it passed a continuity test.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I have an array of push button switches I use with a breadboard. I mounted/soldered the switches to a proto circuit board that had the right pin spacing then added 6 inch solid wire leads that I can plug into the breadboard as needed.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Mount the switch on a DIP component carrier, soldering as needed and epoxy in place for strength. Now you have a switch module that will bridge the 0.3" gutter on the breadboard.