See Who's logged into a thread

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
In other forums there's and easy to see list of members currently viewing a given thread, (when logged into that thread)

Such a facility would would be useful here.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I'm sorry but I feel in the position of the customer who has just been told by the salesperson
"We aint got it, theers no call for it"

Except that Georacer was more polite.

If you don't want to use it - don't.

There are many new features on this new presentation I would actually prefer not to have, but I suppose somebody want them so I ignore them.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I think it's important to note that, Georacer is not making this proposed modification, jrap is, as far as I know.

Second, the features that do not exist in Xenforo have to be added by wading through large amounts of PHP and HTML and require an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the software for such a task to be anything but tedious and time-consuming.

I would imagine that there would need to be more of a collective push for such a feature to get implemented before jrap decided to put in the effort, unless it is just a matter of ticking a checkbox, in which case, it might as well be enabled.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This idea doesn't ring my bell. Who cares if I left that page on my monitor while I was making a schematic or a cup of coffee? Besides, I'm in and out of threads in a matter of seconds if I find them not within my area of expertise or already being answered quite properly by the other denizens of AAC. One vote for, "no".

I believe the forum software logs where I've been, and when, but it doesn't seem important to me unless, someday, I might need an alibi for a certain hour on a certain day. :D

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
This functionality is not natively a part of Xenforo. However it looks like there are 3rd party add-ons that can add this feature.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
I have enabled the add-on. Under quick reply you should see the block "Users Who Are Viewing This Thread". What does everyone think? Can keep if the general consensus is positive.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Thank you jrap,

Unfortunately I don't (Yet?) see it either in what I assume is the quick reply or the one that more options gets me to
viewwrs1.jpg

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
I believe if nothing shows, you're the only member viewing the thread. Try refreshing the page and you should see yourself listed.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Yes you are right, there it is when others are also logged in.

But also interestingly, I was not on the list.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I must say I rather like this feature. There are several cases where it would be useful. Thanks for bringing it up studiot, and thanks for implementing it, jrap!

Regards,
Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I verify that this feature is working for me, making a light blue area appear when there is someone in the thread apart from me.

I thought that this went without saying, but, as tshuck said, just because a feature was implemented in vBulletin or in another Xenforo forum, it doesn't mean that bringing it here is straightforward.

We are not talking about the cases where all you have to do to enable a feature is to click a tickbox in the admin panel. Most of the times this is not how things work.
Usually, you have to spend up to a whole day, to google about your addition, struggle with missing documentation, do trial-and-error and unify it with the rest of your site, all the while being very careful to avoid feature incompatibilities, site down times and messing up your back-up order.
Being mindful to avoid unnecessary server overload to due feature-gluttony is also a concern.

That said, implementing a feature just because someone asks for it, even if it is very useful to him, is not the best choice time- and resource-wise.