Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I am wondering if there is any difference between the lead acid battery and seal lead acid battery. I am wondering if there is any difference between them. If so, what is it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The base difference is construction. The chemistry is similar between the two. A sealed lead acid (SLA for short) is just that, sealed. Many times(if not always) it uses a viscous gel to make sure it doesn't leak.

A conventional lead acid, such as a car battery, has caps to replace water. It is serviceable, and lasts a bit longer because of it. It can also handle more current since it doesn't have to worry about hydrogen being generated by it. Water is lost due to evaporation or electrolysis.

When a battery is being charged, or if it is providing a lot of current, some hydrogen will be generated. It is one of the hazards with car batteries, especially when jumping from another battery. If a spark ignites the hydrogen it can be pretty dangerous, not to mention messy.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

So which is better, SLA or conventional lead acid? I just want to use in homes for emergency as well as experiment.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Car batteries have lots of current, and are decent overall, but they have a serious drawback. Draw more than half their stored power and you start damaging the battery. Marine batteries are designed to take this, and will work better for things like UPS's, but are much more expensive. A SLA is designed for indoor use, and has less power overall per weight, but won't burn holes in your carpet from acid.

If this is outside I would suggest a car battery, with the understanding you can't abuse them much (run them dead and expect them to keep working). If it is indoors you really don't have a choice, SLA it is.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Since you want to use the battery indoors, you will need to use either an SLA (Sealed Lead-Acid) or VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery.

It would not be safe to use an automotive or marine type battery indoors.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
OK, since I am here about battery (lead-acid). I'm going to ask this question. Is it OK to submerge the battery into a water. Like a river...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
NO. and NO again! The battery REQUIRES its acid. You would pollute the stream badly, and destroy the battery.

That acid (sulfuric acid) is quite toxic. It will burn you if you get it on your skin. Get enough on your skin and you will be very, very sick.

When you pop the caps off the water should match level markers inside. Use distilled, really clean water to fill it to the markers (if it needs it).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Batteries should not be immersed in liquids, even if they are completely sealed (SLA).

Battery cases are not designed for such loads. Pressure increases VERY rapidly with depth.

And no, don't think about dunking one in your bathtub, either.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Which are quite expensive. Lightfire is on a very limited budget. When I was his age I supplemented my model rocket fix with lawn mowing.

Lightfire, where did you get that 12V battery!?

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Which are quite expensive. Lightfire is on a very limited budget. When I was his age I supplemented my model rocket fix with lawn mowing.

Lightfire, where did you get that 12V battery!?
What kind of 12 volt battery? I am currently using a lead-acid battery. Well, I got that because of my friend which is also a hobbyist of electricity. He'd got a lot of them! In PH, it costs about 22 dollars. :)

Why did you ask? :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually, I had assumed he had. My dad had the packrat gene, and our garage was full of car batteries and other old car junk when I was that age. As long as I asked I was allowed to use most of it, or destroy it as the case may be.

So, what kind of lead acid? A gel cell (aka SLA)?

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Actually, it is about 1/3 of a car battery. :) It's not sealed. I guess. But no no, when my friend gave it to me, it's brand new. :)

It's rated as 12V/12AH

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Your description doesn't make sense, lead acid batteries have multiple cells in them to build voltage, they are actually 6 2Volt lead acid batteries put together (EMF of lead with H2SO4≈2V), and I really don't know how it's constructed so it might only be part of a battery (I've never seen a battery where that's possible though)
Sealed batteries are usually quite a bit smaller than car batteries, which might be what you mean.

Can you post a picture?

@ bill, I meant stolen from a car someone uses :p

[EDIT]
following up what I said earlier EMF means ElectroMotive Force, which is the same as Voltage

also, the voltage of each cell is 2.105Volts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Actually, it is about 1/3 of a car battery. :) It's not sealed. I guess. But no no, when my friend gave it to me, it's brand new. :)

It's rated as 12V/12AH
When I lived in the Philippines about 25 years ago (Quezon City/Cebu/Zamboanga City) it was pretty common for people to use small motorcycle (tricycle) batteries for powering radios and small lights. There usually was a battery shop that recharged them for a few pesos with a generator.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You need to read all the thread. This kid has no money for car batteries or SLAs, which are expensive. I am guessing he is using a junker battery from an old car.

To LightFire:
BTW, I estimate your package will get there around Thursday. I included a bunch of battery holders (no batteries) while I was about it. D cells aren't as deep as a car battery, but they can get the job done.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

It's rated as 12V/12AH
That sounds like a Gel Cel (Gelled Lead Acid Battery) if it only has 12AH capacity.

Does it have just to spade type tabs to connect to, not round posts or bolt holes?

If it is what I'm thinking, it's out of a UPS and probably about 4AH of power now, which is why it's "only 1/3rd of one".