Schottky Diodes

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
I have a couple of dud Schottky Diode's, 5402's , I think they are rated at 3A , question is, I have some 6A10 Diode's, can I use them instead ? .
ps: they are off a Vestel power board for a wide screen TV .

cheers

SpikeVestel Board.jpg

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
If you went ahead and used a "normal" rectifier diode, that was rated for the current, how much difference is there really, and does it wear out anything more, like having loose parts hanging off a car ? I dno't know the finer details of diodes, but in a circuit model, what does it boil down to ? Adding more capacitance and I suppose and at what phase tho ?

I've made buck/boost converters in the past, soon it will be time to go over that with my new knowledge. And then do some lab experiments with my new gear.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you went ahead and used a "normal" rectifier diode, that was rated for the current, how much difference is there really, and does it wear out anything more, like having loose parts hanging off a car ? I dno't know the finer details of diodes, but in a circuit model, what does it boil down to ?
It boils down to speed and forward voltage drop.
A Schottky has no recovery delay time, and it has a lower forward voltage drop, both which improve efficiency in high frequency switching regulators.

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Hi Guys
Replaced all 3 of the UF5402 , and Whalla good to go , another one saved from the landfill .

cheers

Spike