scary assembler source

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
That does not look like source code to me; it looks more like a disassembly output with comments added later to aid understanding.

The only scary looking part is the section that is uncommented.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Scary here is the mental striptease it takes to churn out a makework like this one.
And if you mentally babble to yourself after what you see for hours and days, you are emulating someone with serious autism.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I think I know what you mean... I had to do that once (only about 1k of 8086) and it made the weekend very welcome
I used to enjoy that sort of stuff. I got so good at it that I could read machine language without the use of a dissembler. I'd look at the hex opcodes and the mnemonics would just pop into my head. Just like reading English.

Granted, it was Z80 which has quite a bit smaller instruction set than the 8086.

Simon Larsen

Joined Feb 22, 2015
scary code, yes :).. and this is even more hard to disassemble than ordinary machine code. They have embedded a small "virtual machine" that interprets the p-code. The p-code is same concept as the 6502 machine code.. but here they have the liberty to choose the up codes themselves and make life tough for the cracker.

I guess its some kind of copy protection for commercial c64-games made by EA and sold on a "floppy" disk