Satellite radio antenna

arcox

Joined Aug 29, 2017
I have Sirius XM radio in both of my cars. It works everywhere, except some overpasses and all tunnels. No matter the direction I am traveling. So my wife wanted to use it at home. I purchased a small unit with a cable and presumably, a patch antenna on a hinged box. The orientation and angle of the antenna are super critical, and even then, doesn't always work, with continuous dropouts. Is it just the antenna, or is the receiver just a piece of junk? If it is the antenna, how do I get or make one that works. I have the antenna outside, pointed to the South.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have Sirius XM radio in both of my cars. It works everywhere, except some overpasses and all tunnels. No matter the direction I am traveling. So my wife wanted to use it at home. I purchased a small unit with a cable and presumably, a patch antenna on a hinged box. The orientation and angle of the antenna are super critical, and even then, doesn't always work, with continuous dropouts. Is it just the antenna, or is the receiver just a piece of junk? If it is the antenna, how do I get or make one that works. I have the antenna outside, pointed to the South.
The patch antenna (magnetic brick type) needs a ground plane to work correctly.

Last edited:

Kevil

Joined Jun 28, 2020
Wow! $100 for a radio that costs less than $50?
And that radio does not support power for the LNA. I checked.
Bad antenna - bad or no reception no mater of the radio cost.
You can ask the antenna manufacturer for a suitable power injector or have someone make a Quadrifilar Helix Antenna (QHA) with a power supply.