Safety with voltage through force sensor

shivasage

Joined Jan 12, 2020
Hello all. I am using a FlexiForce sensor in a simple voltage divider circuit with 9V DC source going to the sensor. The sensor has infinite resistance without pressure, but as I push on it with my finger the resistance goes down as low as 70k, thus regulating how much voltage is allowed through to the other side. This side goes to an electronic musical device which has a 'control voltage' input, a TS connection with a 100k resistor which uses the amount of incoming voltage (0-9V) to adjust a specific parameter within the device's circuit (e.g. gain). Here's a picture (there's also a 50k potentiometer in there to help fine tune the output).

I am wondering about the safety of this setup. The power will be coming from an isolated power supply like this using a 2.1mm cable, into the circuit which is housed in an aluminum box, on to the sensor and back to the box via a long TS cable, and then from the box to the control voltage input on the other device using another TS cable. The TS cable from the box is connected to the sensor like so. Those exposed wires are a potential issue and I think I could cover it with some rubber tubing. But aside from that, is there any danger here? Am I going to be electrocuted?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
As long as the Isolated supply is housed wired correctly with a fuse and ground connection there will be no danger. There appears to be only low DC voltage on everything after the isolated supply.
You could use hot-glue to protect the exposed wires. It is weatherproof and a good insulator.
Regards,
Keith

shivasage

Joined Jan 12, 2020
As long as the Isolated supply is housed wired correctly with a fuse and ground connection there will be no danger. There appears to be only low DC voltage on everything after the isolated supply.
You could use hot-glue to protect the exposed wires. It is weatherproof and a good insulator.
Regards,
Keith
Thank you! I don't have a hot glue gun so I'm just gonna use heat-shrink tubing. I won't need it to be weatherproof.