Safety concerns about a bridge rectifier

vincent_b

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hi Guys,
I am helping out a client that want me to design a chandelier light using an "Asian-made" 10 meters stripe made with LEDs diodes.
Link to the product the client has bought

This stripe is made of 1000 led diodes producing 66watts. It came with an 8A 800V Rectifier bridge that was in a small plastic box with silicone sealing the box.

The connection is:
AC 240v > 8A 800V Rectifier bridge > diode stripe.

I am right to be quite concerned about the safety of this lamp? As you can read I have no knowledge in electrical parts but was reading online that i might need to add a fuse on both side of the rectifier bridge? Place this rectifier in a metal box with ground earthing?

Thanks for any inputs!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Your link does not get me to a product but rather an account login.

I did go to Ali Express and the 10 meter strips I saw around 60 watt were all low voltage DC, typically 12 Volts including 12 VDC Power Supplies.

Ron

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi Guys,
I am helping out a client that want me to design a chandelier light using an "Asian-made" 10 meters stripe made with LEDs diodes.
Link to the product the client has bought

This stripe is made of 1000 led diodes producing 66watts. It came with an 8A 800V Rectifier bridge that was in a small plastic box with silicone sealing the box.

The connection is:

I am right to be quite concerned about the safety of this lamp? As you can read I have no knowledge in electrical parts but was reading online that i might need to add a fuse on both side of the rectifier bridge? Place this rectifier in a metal box with ground earthing?

Thanks for any inputs!

For safety reasons, there should be a transformer between the AC mains (wall) power and the bridge rectifier. The transformer needs to be able to transfer enough power to light your LEDs. From the bridge rectifier (and filtering capacitor) you need a constant current power source to supply the LEDs.

vincent_b

Joined Jun 19, 2017
For safety reasons, there should be a transformer between the AC mains (wall) power and the bridge rectifier. The transformer needs to be able to transfer enough power to light your LEDs. From the bridge rectifier (and filtering capacitor) you need a constant current power source to supply the LEDs.
Thanks, what kind of transformer should i be looking for? transforming 240v (australia) to 12v ?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Product Description
Brand NEW 240V RED Round led neon flex for indoor or outside lighting, 10Meters a lot. Popular at France,Spain,Italy,USA,UK

Round LED Neon, LED Neon Flex, 360 Degree LED Neon Flex, LED Neon Light, LED Neon, LED Neon Rope Light, they can be came with AC110V or AC185-240V.

Colors avaible: Pink round neon, red rope neon, green 360 degree neon, blue neon light, yellow neon, white neon, warm white neon LED. Orange neon.

Notice:

RGB = Orange color = WF-LN-R-240V-EO

Cool White = Pink Color =WF-LN-R-240V-EP

Round LED neon Features:

1. Waterproof IP65, ok for indoor or outdoor
2. No breakage during assembly, shipping and installation
3. Less maintenance resulting in lower maintenance costs
4. Reduced installation time and expense
5. Simpler, more flexible system wiring (series or parallel)
6. No cold weather start problems or color shift.
7. Optically modified silicone extrusion: UV stable, hydrocarbon insensitive, non-fading
8. Convenient mounting clips and mounting tracks
9. Can be cut and bended, there are cutting marks at the bottom, easy to cut.
10.360 degree lighting viewing

NEON PHOTOS 100% True PHOTO without PS:
I have no idea? They sort of imply No Power Supply so I am not sure what you have and they make no mention of a power supply. The power supply should be labeled Input and Output assuming you have a power supply for the string you have? As Gopher mentions these things generally have isolation from AC Mains and are normally low voltage as they see use in wet outdoor locations.

Ron

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
These seem to be a direct to line connected device... LEDS or something else that makes light.

I don't see any real danger here, no more than any other light bulb you power from an outlet as there is no exposed wiring you might put your eye out with.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You are right to be concerned but as stated they are really no different from mains powered LED Christmas lights.. So there is "some" danger to them but no more than any other line powered product really.. Functional/double insulation,etc.. rules/safety regulations would apply...

Discussion of modification of said lights is against the rules here but there are thousands/millions of these types of lights being sold to consumers..
Proper "legal warnings" on the box protects them should someone bite through the wire and shock/kill themselves..

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the United States strings of Christmas lights are (were? -haven't been there for a while) composed only of LEDs with high internal resistances and the wire and plug to make it work. No power supply required.

Round LED Neon, LED Neon Flex, 360 Degree LED Neon Flex, LED Neon Light, LED Neon, LED Neon Rope Light, they can be came with AC110V or AC185-240V.

Just connect according to the manufacturer's instructions and it should just work. No need to modify or build anything. Just make sure you know which version your client bought.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In the United States strings of Christmas lights are (were? -haven't been there for a while) composed only of LEDs with high internal resistances and the wire and plug to make it work. No power supply required.

Just connect according to the manufacturer's instructions and it should just work. No need to modify or build anything. Just make sure you know which version your client bought.
Sarcasm
In that case, to LED christmas lights violate the site users agreement?
/sarcasm

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

The connection is:
The original post mentions the above so I figure it came with some sort of power supply?

Ron

vincent_b

Joined Jun 19, 2017
what i am understanding is that this silicone tube has 1000 IR diodes in it and s simply connected to a 8A 800V Rectifier bridge without any transformer.
My concern is that 800v 8a is only protected by a simple 0.8mm cable and a plastic box. I was thinking that power would need stronger protection.
Thanks for all your responses! this forum is full of so much knowledge, i just spend 2 hours reading other posts!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
what i am understanding is that this silicone tube has 1000 IR diodes in it and s simply connected to a 8A 800V Rectifier bridge without any transformer.
My concern is that 800v 8a is only protected by a simple 0.8mm cable and a plastic box. I was thinking that power would need stronger protection.
Thanks for all your responses! this forum is full of so much knowledge, i just spend 2 hours reading other posts!
You need to consider that 800 V 8 A you are seeing is likely the maximum rating of the full wave bridge rectifier. For example I have a KBPC3506 full wave bridge rectifier laying here. Just because the data sheet says it is a 600 V 35 A bridge rectifier means nothing as those are the maximum ratings. I could be using it for 12 volts, 120 volts or 240 volts I just can't exceed the maximum ratings. This is likely what you are looking at. The data for what you have seemed to point to 220 volt, 120 volt and 12 volt possible versions. If you have a 220 volt version that is what the bridge is rectifying. I seriously doubt you have 800 Volts at 8 Amps.

Ron