Running bridged tda2030 on battery

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
hello everyone,
I have a tda2030 amplifier board which i wish to run on a 12v battery. The problem is that i have to power the negative rail. I would like to know if it is possible to run the negative rail from a simple voltage inverter like a simple 555 circuit in case the pin was just a reference pin? The datasheet states it draws near 900mA max, but no details on the negative rail current. Could anyone help? If it wont work, any other simple solution?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Have you looked at the datasheet for that IC?
http://www.utc-ic.com/spec/TDA2030.pdf
Take a look - they recommend ±16v for +Vs and -Vs.
You will have very poor performance from a single 12v supply.
At the very least, you should use two 12v batteries in series, using the connection between the two as your ground.

The negative rail (-Vs) is not simply a reference pin.

Using an inverter from a single battery to produce a negative rail will drain your battery more than twice as fast due to the inefficiency of the inverter; no inverter is 100% efficient.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You will need to rebuild/redisign your board in order to run on single supply. The simplest solution would be to use two 12 volt batteries

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Thank you for your reply. I only have one lead acid battery, so i think redesigning for a single supply would be better. I have the bridged circuit found in the datasheet, what modifications would be needed to make it run on a single supply?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Look for a dc-dc inverter circuit capable of taking 11v to 14v in, and producing 12v-13v @ 2A.

Then start looking for good deals on a pair of 12v batteries, as you will need them.

There is no point in trying to build the amplifier circuit for operation on 12v, as it will not function properly.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Try to and get hold on some TDA 2003 or TDA2040 as these are more optimized for 12 volt applications. The TDA 2003 was quite common before. Maybe you can salvage some from old car audio equipment.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Did a bit of googling. Seems running it off a single supply brings down the output to as much as 4W per chip with added distortion and worser response. So no point in bridging itself. And I think getting a LA4440 or TDA2040 as to6afre said, is a lot easier and cheaper than building an inverter or getting another battery. Anyways, thanks a lot for the ideas and points!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Did a bit of googling. Seems running it off a single supply brings down the output to as much as 4W per chip with added distortion and worser response.
It works perfectly from a single supply. But the total supply is typically 32V to 36V, not just 12V. When the total supply is 24V then the output power of the bridged circuit (two ICs) into 8 ohms at clipping is about 20W. The datasheet says its minimum supply is 12V but does not show its resulting very low output power.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Thank you for your reply. I only have one lead acid battery, so i think redesigning for a single supply would be better. I have the bridged circuit found in the datasheet, what modifications would be needed to make it run on a single supply?
You are using the wrong part. The TDA2003 is designed specifically for running off a 12V lead acid battery (it's automotive amplifier) and can be easily bridge connected. I ran a bridge amp off 12V for years in the back of my Dodge driving the rear woofers using a pair of 2003's to drive it.

Attachments

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Try to and get hold on some TDA 2003 or TDA2040 as these are more optimized for 12 volt applications. The TDA 2003 was quite common before. Maybe you can salvage some from old car audio equipment.
Seem to be for sale now for 60 cents.

http://orzparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=373

Ton of them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-TDA2003-10W-Car-Radio-Audio-Amplifier-IC-New-/140576303972

92 cents on DigiKey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=BE&KeyWords=TDA2003&x=0&y=0

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
About 28 years ago I made a sound system for the beach. The 4" sub-woofer was driven with a stereo LM2896 amp IC (obsolete today) that was bridged and bootstrapped similar to a TDA2005 IC that is still made. It was powered from many Ni-Cad C cells. The stereo amp was powered by many AA cells. The system sounded better than any boom box.

Today I use the system for the TV in my computer room but the old Ni-Cad battery cells are long gone.