Running 2000watt on extension leads?

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
Hi, I've been given mixed advice so here i am.
I have currently converted my loft for space so I can run my office there. From product testing youtube to running and testing gaming scripts and games room for the kids

I can't afford an electrician to come and do work my money is all in my business and leaving me broke atm.

My problem is I need to run my computer 24/7 and camera and lighting running most the time with additional items like phones kettle fridge.

My total wattage used is 1800watt running 24/7 and 300watt added from other devices
Andnif poss my kettle when i want a drink lol.

Ive been told as at the moment i run from my bedroom plug socket with 2 outlets 2 extension leads up to my loft with surge protection leads for computers.

Then i plug in a contactor relay which has 2 plugs so i use 1 plug from each lead to spread the load across both outlets in the plug socket. (i guess it had 2 plugs for a reason and not to use on 1 extension lead)

It has a timer on it which i use sometimes as i only use this to power my pc and cameras
Which turn off for around 5hrs aday pc has a soft shutdown so shuts down safely when i ditch power. (not an option most pcs u can damage the components)

Ive been told i need to run a spur instead to be safe from overloading?

The uk home has a rcb trip and im running
2x surge protector extensions 3meters up
To a contactor relay timer.
To 2000watt power.

Am i safe? Or do i need to do a spur wtf that is

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
My total wattage used is 1800watt running 24/7 and 300watt added from other devices
Andnif poss my kettle when i want a drink lol.
hi dr,
For that loading and use, you require a dedicated feed from the main power incoming distribution fuse/rcb box, current rated as a Cooker feed.
Get a qualified electrical installation engineer to do the work, do NOT do it yourself, you are not qualified.

A UK kettle takes approx 2300Watts.
E

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Best way is run a fused spur from your bedroom socket in 2.5mm twin earth cable in mini trunking, put a 13Amp fuse in the spur , the cable will take 22Amps easy..and you can put as many sockets as you need in the attic.

It's 4Amp per KW.

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
Best way is run a fused spur from your bedroom socket in 2.5mm twin earth cable in mini trunking, put a 13Amp fuse in the spur , the cable will take 22Amps easy..and you can put as many sockets as you need in the attic.

It's 4Amp per KW.

How is runnning a spur safer than a plug soket with a fuse trip?

Honest question.
Just it seems to me if i had a extension lead plugged in with a trip it seems safer than doing a spur which is using same plug and running wires from that up without a trip..but a fuse? The same as an extension leads trip?

Just thinking i hope logically lol it seems more cowboyish to split a plug soket instead of extending it?

I know i am wrong but my logical brains havin an issue.

If i ran a wire down from a plug would it. Ot be safer to drop it further to the rcd consumer unit? Rather than spur?

Spur jusy doesnt srem safe to me hahaha

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Extension leads can be tripped over or unplugged by mistake, cowboys would run an extension lead, i would put a permitantly wired system in, nothing wrong with tapping into a socket and extending the existing ring main, or if you can get from the attic directly down the cavity to the fusebox even better..

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Dr,
You say the full load could be 2100W plus 2300W for a kettle ie: 4400W, do NOT run a spur from an existing power plug ring main.
Use a dedicated feed from the incoming mains distribution block.
E

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
Ok so i have an electrician.
Tryin to cut costs down.
Can i drop a wire down from my loft to the rcb closet.
Put on 2 plugs in the loft end.
And have the electrician connect the rcb and check the soket.?

That wid cut out most the cost right?

Attachments

Last edited:

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
hi Dr,
You say the full load could be 2100W plus 2300W for a kettle ie: 4400W, do NOT run a spur from an existing power plug ring main.
Use a dedicated feed from the incoming mains distribution block.
E
It means each socket will give 13amps ideally, but the whole socket is only rated for 13Amps,...

This is my rcd and i dont have a water heater anymore either so i guess there is space for another 30a?
. So if i drill a csble up from here csnnel in my wall to loft on a plug

My elec can come connect the rcd n check it right or am i missing somthing

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Consider that the maximum power load is 4400Watts, for a 230Vac system thats 4400W/230V = 19Amps.
I see a 20A Switch next to the Water Heater.?

Check that the cable you buy is able to carry at least 20Amps, check that with a electrician ,
wire in the cable and get a qualified electrician to connect and certify.

Keep the certificate in a safe place,

You don't want to invalidate any house fire insurance.

E

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
hi,
Consider that the maximum power load is 4400Watts, for a 230Vac system thats 4400W/230V = 19Amps.

Check that the cable you buy is able to carry at least 20Amps, check that with a electrician ,

E
Yeah its not got a label on it? How do i find out what it is.. It csnt share another thibgs line can it? So i have to check its not active?

Wud i be safer to buy a new switch? Didnt you say i needed 13x2 26amp so a 30a type 2 is 12 quid new?

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
Run a 2.5mm twin earth cable and connect it to number 4, the 20Amp breaker..
hi,

E
Is it worth using this switch in the lofy aswell as added security? Its likr 3 wuid more than a normal socket
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...-rcd-switched-socket-with-white-inserts/4714p

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
So this is what i need right?
I cant find my switch new there all old so from this guy. The new ones dont have the right busbar?
So thisbis what i need? I know i need to run 2 cables for a ring right also?
Or do iuse that 20a breaker? Ive no idea as someone said id need the 30 but some sayin 30.