Rules of Conduct

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A common repeating theme we keep seeing is people trying to ask questions without registering.

A thought occured, maybe the Rules of Conduct should have a clause to encourage people to register as the first paragraph? That and also informing them that if they don't they won't get anywhere.

We'll still get the unregistered user questions, but it might cut down on them a little... maybe.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A common repeating theme we keep seeing is people trying to ask questions without registering.

A thought occured, maybe the Rules of Conduct should have a clause to encourage people to register as the first paragraph? That and also informing them that if they don't they won't get anywhere.

We'll still get the unregistered user questions, but it might cut down on them a little... maybe.
Problem is Bill, if they won't take the time to register they certainly won't take the time to read the ToS. Every member who signs up reads (or should read) the ToS, however it is presented to the user during the registration process - obviously if they never come to register they never see the ToS unless they actively click on the link at the bottom of every page.

For non-logged-in users we do have a banner at the top of every page which encourages them to register. Sadly some people will just ignore it and try and ask anyway. Initially we moved the said threads to elsewhere on the forums so, if the OP wanted to continue to ask questions, they would have to register; now we just lock the thread and ask them to register.

Thankfully we don't get many threads of this nature so it is certainly managable as-is. It may not always be that way so it is worth having these ideas in place.

Dave

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
More to the point than if they register or not is whether they take the bother to make a subsequent post, having asked their question.

All too often I see posts where a user has asked a question and never posted again, although several members may have put effort into several replies.

I find this 'want it now or not at all culture' making me more and more disinclined to bother myself.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
More to the point than if they register or not is whether they take the bother to make a subsequent post, having asked their question.

All too often I see posts where a user has asked a question and never posted again, although several members may have put effort into several replies.

I find this 'want it now or not at all culture' making me more and more disinclined to bother myself.
It is a good general point studiot, sadly one that we cannot fix. My suggestion to those using this forum is to thank people when they have helped you thus not to burn your bridges.

As a side: The whole idea of the unregistered user in F&S is to present as few barriers as possible to people providing corrections and feedback on the site material. Since we introduced it 3ish years ago we have had a huge increase in the numbers of suggested corrections. Usually those providing feedback in this way are browsing the e-book, see a mistake, then click on the "Feedback" button and say "Oh, btw, this is wrong" - rightly or wrongly, these are the sort of people who wouldn't follow it up because they have done "their bit". From my perspective, I am just pleased they take the time to give us feedback.

Dave

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Problem is Bill, if they won't take the time to register they certainly won't take the time to read the ToS. Every member who signs up reads (or should read) the ToS, however it is presented to the user during the registration process - obviously if they never come to register they never see the ToS unless they actively click on the link at the bottom of every page.

For non-logged-in users we do have a banner at the top of every page which encourages them to register. Sadly some people will just ignore it and try and ask anyway. Initially we moved the said threads to elsewhere on the forums so, if the OP wanted to continue to ask questions, they would have to register; now we just lock the thread and ask them to register.

Thankfully we don't get many threads of this nature so it is certainly managable as-is. It may not always be that way so it is worth having these ideas in place.

Dave
As for the ToS, maybe we should ask a few questions during registrations to verify that they read it. Nothing too elaborate, but something that will improve decorum.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As for the ToS, maybe we should ask a few questions during registrations to verify that they read it. Nothing too elaborate, but something that will improve decorum.
vB provides a standard log-in process which would preclude us doing anything like that. My concern would be if we put obstacles in place for the regular user (in the generic sense) that they may be less inclined to want to sign-up.

Overall the general decorum on the forums is very good, wouldn't you agree?

Thinking out loud and moving one step on from what you said, it might be nice if we could put an "I agree" check box that unregistered users check when they want to make an unregistered post, meaning they have read (or at least should have) the ToS and agree to it. At the minute this isn't something they have to do IIRC, which means they, in theory are not bound by the same rules as regular members.

Dave

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
vB provides a standard log-in process which would preclude us doing anything like that. My concern would be if we put obstacles in place for the regular user (in the generic sense) that they may be less inclined to want to sign-up.

Overall the general decorum on the forums is very good, wouldn't you agree?

Dave
Yes, I suppose your right.

The general decorum is very good indeed!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Not sure of vBulletin term, I was asking about the service now in general,
Is there a limit to number of member's the way thing's are now. Thank's

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Not sure of vBulletin term, I was asking about the service now in general,
Is there a limit to number of member's the way thing's are now. Thank's
vBulletin is the forum software we use. There is nothing on the vB website about a limit to the number of members.

According to BigBoards there is a vB forum with over 1.8 members, so I don't think we'll have a problem any time soon.

Dave