Rules for Creating Neat Schematics

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well I'll be... sorry about that WBahn, I misquoted your post in my last reply. It's this last phrase that I was referring to when I brought up Mr Mims.
Yes. And I thought about Mims when I was typing that. But I never said that I thought it unacceptable for ANYONE to put hand-drawn schematics into a commercial product -- I said that I would not do it. Having said that, the appearance of informality and DIY flavor inferred by hand-drawn schematics was completely appropriate to the Forest Mims line of books.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
While we're on the subject of technical drawing, what CAD program do you have?

AutoCad, Solidworks, etc. are very pricey, however I'm not running a commercial business so I'm looking for something that is low cost

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

AutoCad, Solidworks, etc. are very pricey, however I'm not running a commercial business so I'm looking for something that is low cost
Don't think that can of worms should be added into this discussion. There are many threads on the forum about the free pbc cad programs. It is like asking what is the best car make or best ice cream flavor. I finally decided on the latest edition of Diptrace, it even does 3D if your into that.
http://www.diptrace.com/ And it's free for up to 300 pins.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011

As shortbus mentioned, that question goes beyond the scope of this particular thread. There are hundreds of threads out there where people ask which packages are recommended.

I can answer your question and say that I, personally, use Altium, but it is very pricey. I only have access through it through my work. Before that I used Eagle, which does not have a pin limit but does have a board size limit (for the free version). It is also limited to 2 layers. There are dozens and dozens of other programs out there. I suggest you try a few and see what you like best.