RPI 5 PCIe fpc <---> M.2 NVMe SSD

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Hi and apologies for the acronym galore,

I'm considering buying an RPI 5 and use the PCIe port for an SSD. There are some expansion boards that allow you to easily connect an SSD to the RPI, produced by Pineberry pi, Pimoroni and maybe others. Apart from the price that is a bit steep, some of these boards attach to the top blocking any cooling, others attach to the bottom and then will not fit in the case that I want.

The Pineberry Pi top HAT supplies power through the pin headers, the Pineberry Pi bottom HAT optionally supplies power via some connector and the Pimoroni NVMe Base does not appear to have any connectors but there is some surface mount stuff on the board. It is said the PCIe port itself can provide up to 5 Watt which should be enough for some SSDs.

Are the electronics on these expansion boards likely for power conditioning of the external supply or could it be needed for some PCIe stuff? If I could find or make an M.2 to PCIe extender like this that fits the RPI and the drive, is connecting both with a mere cable enough?

I think the fpc per thread title refers to the cable type, not the connector/socket on the RPI. Does anyone know what that connector is called?

Thanks.