Rosetta

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
From what I understand.....Rosetta has been in orbit around Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko since August.......mapping for landing site. If you google that comet.......nice images.

Early tomorrow morning Philae will be ejected and attempt to land about 7 hours later. All live on the web.

Rosetta will orbit for about a year. Read about or watch videos of how Philae will stay anchored. There are several redundancies.

It will be quite a maneuver....I wish them success.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I believe that yesterday, 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, the Rosseta comet, reached perigee.

What a disappointment and a dud.

We should be seeing fantastic fountains by now.

We put a camera on a comet, and the comet fizzles.

I was really looking forward to see some fountains from the surface and Rosseta.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I was hoping for something like the movie Armageddon.

Or at least a few hiccups and a burp.

Maybe in the weeks or months ahead, processing time, they might show us something.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Rocks. Looks like my driveway, but blurred.

Not to diminish that achievement, I want to know what carbon compounds were in the soup that formed our solar system and where they came from. We know from spectroscopy there are complex carbon compounds in space. I want to see the first evidence of something related to DNA/RNA and/or AMP/ADP/ATP and their reasonable alternatives. Can't wait for SpaceX to get to Mars.

John

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Rocks. Looks like my driveway, but blurred.

Not to diminish that achievement, I want to know what carbon compounds were in the soup that formed our solar system and where they came from. We know from spectroscopy there are complex carbon compounds in space. I want to see the first evidence of something related to DNA/RNA and/or AMP/ADP/ATP and their reasonable alternatives. Can't wait for SpaceX to get to Mars.

John
I believe there are lifeforms everywhere and it's very likely some are on comets.

This could have been the Rosetta crash from their end.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GopherT Off-Topic 11
MrChips General Science, Physics & Math 2