Role of Capacitor as Bypass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmansa1

Joined Jan 22, 2017
Hi Everyone !

I have one confusion regarding the role of the capacitor in the circuit. How does the capacitor protects the circuit from the high voltage spikes. If the capacitor is connected from the circuit with battery. And sudden high spikes come then the capacitor is charged and the energy is stored in the Electric field. Now once the spike is over the capacitor is require to discharge. For the discharge it will use the same path back to the load. So how does it protect the Load from the high spikes. May be I am wrong. Please correct me. I have mentioned this in a little diagram. Can some one help to figure out.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The capacitor limits the spike voltage to a level that will not cause harm to the components or, in many cases, circuit operation.

usmansa1

Joined Jan 22, 2017
Hi,

Thats my question. How does it limit it when in case of discharge it has to supply back to the same load or is there something I missing or taking the wrong perception.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Discharging is not an even, it is a condition. The capacitor along with the source of the disturbing signal (the resistance or inductance in series with the signal) forms a low pass filter that averages the signal over time. When the signal is capacitively coupled into the circuit from a low impedance source the filter capacitor can be thought of as being part of a capacitive voltage divider.

This little section on filters should help to make how filtering works clear if you care to look into it in detail.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-8/what-is-a-filter/

Status
Not open for further replies.