Rheostat for Rotisserie

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Just obtain a rheostat rated higher than 1250W. But rheostats are rarely used in this case anymore, as they don't provide good control. You may want to consider a 2000W dimmer. But even better is a thermostat rated to handle your heating element.
Another option is a simmerstat, can be liberated from a scrap stove or bought from a spares outlet.

Although it does have the disadvantage of switching the power on and off to control the average power.

The actual thermostat is in the control unit along with its own little heater, turning the dial varies the preload on the bimetal strip to vary the make/break point.

Gcan61

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Another option is a simmerstat, can be liberated from a scrap stove or bought from a spares outlet.

Although it does have the disadvantage of switching the power on and off to control the average power.

The actual thermostat is in the control unit along with its own little heater, turning the dial varies the preload on the bimetal strip to vary the make/break point.

....you really don't need a thermostat with this application...your simply cooking food by passing (rotating) it close to the heating element http://www.roncoparts.com/roheel.html. So all I'm trying to accomplish is to control the amount of electricity that flows through the heating element thus hopefully controling the amount of heat given off. This might offer me some flexability for cooking foods on the rotisseire. I think I might try Maxheadrum's idea of getting the power supply limiter from HF. But I'm open for any helpful suggestions.

Geoff

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
… a heating coil that …keeps at a constant temperature...
....you really don't need a thermostat with this application...
… thus hopefully controling the amount of heat given off.
Your post is contradictory. Except for your statement that you don't really need a thermostat, the remaining statements seem to indicate exactly the requirement for a thermostat.

Not saying there aren't other methods. Just that you shouldn't dismiss a thermostat. Even the simmer stat, as described, contains a thermostat.

Just my 2cents.

Oh, and what does "410 f , 2 away" mean? I am not familiar with that notation.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You might consider one of these setups. Pretty cheap.

If you don't want/need the temperature controller you can run open loop (without the temp sensor) using a similar (big) Solid State Relay and use a slow PWM to drive its input. By slow, I mean 0-100% duty cycle with a period of 1-2 seconds to cover many line cycles. A simple 555 could do it. (See Bill Marsden's 555 bible here on AAC). The more duty cycle, the more line cycles ON per PWM cycle and the more heat. This falls in line with time-proportional control vs a 'dimmer' which is phase angle control in case you want to do more research. As the others indicate a garden variety dimmer will be watts-limited.

But for the price, I'd go the whole controller route. (EDIT: looking at some reviews, maybe not this exact one..) Power the controller from the line and put the contacts from the wind-up Showtime timer in series with the output of the SSR. Locate the sensor so the meat is between it and the heating element so it measures ambient temp.

Stick it all in a new box on the side of the rotisserie and don't forget the RAD decals.

Last edited:

Gcan61

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Your post is contradictory. Except for your statement that you don't really need a thermostat, the remaining statements seem to indicate exactly the requirement for a thermostat.

Not saying there aren't other methods. Just that you shouldn't dismiss a thermostat. Even the simmer stat, as described, contains a thermostat.

Just my 2cents.

Oh, and what does "410 f , 2 away" mean? I am not familiar with that notation.
...What I meant to say is the temperature 2 inches away from the heating element is 410 degrees F ...

Gcan61

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Johnltx...I've actually have that set up with my sous vide machine. But I think it's kinda overkill with the rotisserie. What do you think of Maxheadrum's idea. I could set the dail, take the temp reading near the heating element...and go from there.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You might consider one of these setups. Pretty cheap.

If you don't want/need the temperature controller you can run open loop (without the temp sensor) using a similar (big) Solid State Relay and use a slow PWM to drive its input. By slow, I mean 0-100% duty cycle with a period of 1-2 seconds to cover many line cycles. A simple 555 could do it. (See Bill Marsden's 555 bible here on AAC). The more duty cycle, the more line cycles ON per PWM cycle and the more heat. This falls in line with time-proportional control vs a 'dimmer' which is phase angle control in case you want to do more research. As the others indicate a garden variety dimmer will be watts-limited.

But for the price, I'd go the whole controller route. (EDIT: looking at some reviews, maybe not this exact one..) Power the controller from the line and put the contacts from the wind-up Showtime timer in series with the output of the SSR. Locate the sensor so the meat is between it and the heating element so it measures ambient temp.

Stick it all in a new box on the side of the rotisserie and don't forget the RAD decals.
This is a more costly way of doing what I suggested, pulling the thermal controls from a used/secondhand toaster oven.:) The toaster oven controls have every thing needed for a similar wattage heater.

Gcan61

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Shortbus...that's not a bad idea also, there's a recycle yard not far from where I live, I'm sure toaster ovens are plenty. There's no hurry on this I'm just trying to get some options. Thx for all the great inputs...everyone have a GREAT!!! Turkey Day. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. I'm sure Ron Popeil would be proud. Thx again

Geoff

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
....you really don't need a thermostat with this application...your simply cooking food by passing (rotating) it close to the heating element
Geoff
You really have monumentally failed to understand what I said!!!!!

The thermostat is an integral part inside the simmerstat that you mount on the front panel - *NOT* in the cooking compartment.

The simmerstat is a bimetal strip contact with its own little local heater - the control knob varies the pre-load on the bimetal strip to vary the on/off proportion.

It is an open loop control with no external sensor. Ambient temperature and the heat that builds up on the panel its mounted on has a slight influence.

Gcan61

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Ian where can I find this simmerstat?? Why can't I just control the voltage going into the heating element thus controling the amount of heat. This rotisserie is not an oven, it's not made to hold heat. The food is cooked by the heating element...much the way you broil food in an oven with an open door. But I can look for an old oven and see if I can't use the dails. Do you think that Maxheadroom's suggestion would work??

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Ian where can I find this simmerstat?? Why can't I just control the voltage going into the heating element thus controling the amount of heat. This rotisserie is not an oven, it's not made to hold heat. The food is cooked by the heating element...much the way you broil food in an oven with an open door. But I can look for an old oven and see if I can't use the dails. Do you think that Maxheadroom's suggestion would work??
I already told you that in a previous post - you can pinch one off one of the rings on a scrap stove, or get one from a store that does cooker spares.

A triac or thyristor doesn't exactly control voltage, it just chops off part of the AC waveform to reduce average power.

A simmerstat does a similar thing - just not as fast as the half cycle by half cycle you get with a triac.

Stormcrow

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Google Router speed controller
Hello Max,
Your Idea sounds great! However, being a nubee in circuits and more on a visual person, can you show us a simple diagram on how to this controller to the element side of the rotisserie?- if its not too much to ask... The set it and forget it does not really work of certain meat pieces..

Thanks

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
NOBODY MESSES WITH A RONCO...
Thats like ripping a page from the bible and rollin' one up with it... sac·ri·le·gious

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I had forgotten all about this being a year away.
Like i said, you can buy power tool versions for $20.00, but if you Google Triac controller you get all kinds of hits.

e.g.

Use a Triac capable of the current you need to control.
Max.

Stormcrow

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Mcgyver - You are correct. But when your only dinner gets burned because you have "set it and forgot about it", sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :) Maybe this feature can be a wish list for Ronco, but t will take forevahhhh - considering they have been on business for years. I believe this thread proves I am not the only one wanting this feature. Until Ronco learns about this wish, desperate time call for desperate measures in this case...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Mcgyver - You are correct. But when your only dinner gets burned because you have "set it and forgot about it", sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :) Maybe this feature can be a wish list for Ronco, but t will take forevahhhh - considering they have been on business for years. I believe this thread proves I am not the only one wanting this feature. Until Ronco learns about this wish, desperate time call for desperate measures in this case...
This thread just proves that there are a few of you who even when given the perfect solution that you will still burn it up :p
NOBODY MESSES WITH A RONCO :D