RFID

Cerkit

Joined Jan 4, 2009
Hi. I would like to setup a system similar to a car key distance detection whereby I can detect if a key is within a certain perimeter from the 'interrogater' station. I need to do this for a system with 4 keys. What system can I use? How do I set it up?

Thanks

To detect something at a distance using RFID, the antenna has to be fairly large; (4" lgt.) I have a sample in hand. There are other limitations too; metal objects can shunt the antenna, so that you cannot interrogate it. Also, 32 bits seems to be the limit on memory, although that is likely to change to 64K (Boeing) soon, if not already.

Some thoughts...DPW

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hi. I would like to setup a system similar to a car key distance detection whereby I can detect if a key is within a certain perimeter from the 'interrogater' station. I need to do this for a system with 4 keys. What system can I use? How do I set it up?

Thanks

Check out sparkfun electronics, they have a USB and Serial RFID interrogator module and different types of RFID tags available.....

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
Search ebay for K9 sombra. Cheap as heck. You'll need two units to get four RFIDs. Security will be enhanced as well as having an RFID bypass option. I like it because the rfid appears to be an enabler, not the accesser. Uses a more traditional coded RF transmission to do the actual detection. So if someone spoofs your RFID they still wont have the coded RF signal needed to enable a detection.

Last edited:

Dan-O

Joined Jul 26, 2009
I'm currently using a K9 unit as the passive security for a pushbutton start system on my car. It works great and hasn't missed a beat.

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
How are you guys terminating the starter pulse? are you guys coming up with your own tachometer sensing capabiity are are you guys just adding a timer?

Dan-O

Joined Jul 26, 2009
Check out my thread.
With my version you have to hold the button to crank.
When you release the button, it stops cranking.
I use a 556 as a flip flop to turn the car on and off.
I'm re-designing it and using a different IC