RFID CNC TOOL TRANSPONDER READ/WRITE

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
Hallo Experts,

Im Application programmer mainly programming Industrial robots. We currently have a problem, read and writing passive rfid transponders(from balluff) for cnc tools.
For this to achieve in common way: from baluff we need a data coupler(read/write device), a processing unit where the data sends to main controlloer or PC, a small HMI to visulize things. For everything it costs a lot.

Now my question is, I would like to programm it with a basic gui to read and write using raspberrypi(which is far lower price than plc). Any idea or help for hardware equipment or suggestions how should I proceed?

Many thanks for your help. I look forward :)

blue_coder

Joined May 7, 2016
I realize your question was a bit ago, but reading passive rfid tags with Arduino is simple, so it will almost certainly be easy with a RPI. Could you give us any more details about why you need to read rfid tags on a CNC machine, so that we can recommend the best parts?

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
I realize your question was a bit ago, but reading passive rfid tags with Arduino is simple, so it will almost certainly be easy with a RPI. Could you give us any more details about why you need to read rfid tags on a CNC machine, so that we can recommend the best parts?

Hallo blue_coder,

Many thanks for your reply. RFID tags are used on CNC Tools where we store the tool data(length, radius, time used etc). Something like this we use for our CNC Tools RFID Transponder Balluff. The Processing Uint has TCP/IP interface. we would like to implemet this in server client metholdolgy. Where Our User Interface(UI) runs on IPAD which is client.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I’m a little confused by your description. Do you want to have an RPi read and write the tags, or do you want the RPi to talk to the Bailuff device and hive it read and write?

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
I’m a little confused by your description. Do you want to have an RPi read and write the tags, or do you want the RPi to talk to the Bailuff device and hive it read and write?
Hallo Yaakov,

I am sorry for making it confusing. We have Processing Unit from Baluff Where I can Read the Tag Data and If necessary to Write using TCP/IP.

I want to built a Server Client architecture, Where My Server Handels Client 1 (For Ex Balluff Processing Unit) and Client 2 (a User Interface Device where I can see my Read Data and to Write Data).

My initial toughts were to run my Node Red server on RaspberryPi and, Connect Processing unit, Ipad using using TCP IP. Are there any good ideas for me to implement such kind of Client Server Model. As I am a Industrial Robot Progrmmer Im limited to explore.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am not sure that Node-RED is particularly helpful in this case. Without more information, my surmise is that an RPi running Debian ARM with nginx and some web framework (in Python, perl, or similar) would be good. Alternatively, you could do the whole thing in node.js without a dedicated httpd.

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
Hallo Yaakov,

I am sorry for making it confusing. We have Processing Unit from Baluff Where I can Read the Tag Data and If necessary to Write using TCP/IP.

I want to built a Server Client architecture, Where My Server Handels Client 1 (For Ex Balluff Processing Unit) and Client 2 (a User Interface Device where I can see my Read Data and to Write Data).

My initial toughts were to run my Node Red server on RaspberryPi and, Connect Processing unit, Ipad using using TCP IP. Are there any good ideas for me to implement such kind of Client Server Model. As I am a Industrial Robot Progrmmer Im limited to explore.
Do you have documentation on the command set for the Balluff device?
Firstly Many Thanks for your suggestions, I will have to look at your ideas deeply as I am not an expert :) Thank you very much
Page 51 9.5 Shows the command overview

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The command set looks pretty easy to implement. I don't expect you will have too much difficulty but I would suggest you find someone to collaborate with who has more experience with web applications. node.js would be a good platform for this, and as I said nginx and any language you can integrate with it (perl, Python, PHP, etc.) would be relatively simple.

You need to consider security. If this network is connected to the Internet this is particularly important but even if not, make suer there is little or no possibility of misuse of your system either directly or platform for network infiltration. Follow security best practices.

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
The command set looks pretty easy to implement. I don't expect you will have too much difficulty but I would suggest you find someone to collaborate with who has more experience with web applications. node.js would be a good platform for this, and as I said nginx and any language you can integrate with it (perl, Python, PHP, etc.) would be relatively simple.

You need to consider security. If this network is connected to the Internet this is particularly important but even if not, make suer there is little or no possibility of misuse of your system either directly or platform for network infiltration. Follow security best practices.

Hallo Yaakov,

Many thanks for your time and suggestions. The both possibilities one with node.js and other with nginx I need to work from ground level. Coding Part: as I am Industrial Robot Programmer, Im able understand code but, putting things together is challenging(Server Running--> request and Response for my Clients). Regarding security I'll for sure talk to our IT departments and proceed.

learnthin

Joined Dec 8, 2021
Hallo Yaakov,

Many thanks for your time and suggestions. The both possibilities one with node.js and other with nginx I need to work from ground level. Coding Part: as I am Industrial Robot Programmer, Im able understand code but, putting things together is challenging(Server Running--> request and Response for my Clients). Regarding security I'll for sure talk to our IT departments and proceed.
Hallo Yaakov,

I feel with nodejs net module it is possible to implement with tcp ip socket. any frame work for browser based UI for ipad. electron or iconic which would you prefer.
With njinx there are plenty tools whatwhat i really don’t understand..thats why i prefer nodejs backend for front end with js css and html

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you want to use Node-RED to simplify the overall programming, it will work just fine. It will be harder to maintain so pay careful attention to backups and versioning, but it will let you combine graphical programming with javascript functions.

Just be sure to take advantage of the documentation option that lets you put comments in each node. You will need it when you have to return to update, add features, or troubleshoot and unlike straight code, the graphical environment has a lot of layers to dig through.

Node-RED runs fine on an RPi, but be sure to make an image of the clean OS install, and subsequent versions, for easy recovery. SD cards aren't the most reliable medium on the planet. You shouldn't have much trouble but a quick swap is much better than rebuilding. Be sure to buy several high quality SD cards, don't cheap out you will regret it. 64GB will be like infinite space for a project like this, even 32GB will be quite large.

Even though it is a bit old, this: https://tech.scargill.net/the-script/ will probably be exceptionally useful to you. Some of it, like Grafana, you probably don't need but it will give you a nice, easily maintained installation. I also suggest you install Webmin which will help a lot with systems administration.

You have a fair amount to learn but if you take your time you should have no real trouble.

Good luck.