RF radiation from cell tower

PadMasterson

Joined Jan 19, 2021
Hello there :)

All modern smartphones incorporate LTE., Orthogonal frequency multiplexing.Also known as multicarrier modulation (MCM), along with CDMA code division multiple access both are forms of wideband modulation. ;)
Yep, you're correct and I wasn't thinking of it in terms like that, I was thinking more of the meter he might be using and not having much in the form of input selectivity or an ability to reject multiple frequencies, maybe more like Broad band, but to your point, yes, I misspoke the term. As I mentioned before, without knowing the setup, its hard to know what's really going on. Stay Safe and Healthy!

PadMasterson

Joined Jan 19, 2021
I concur. You seem to be a man of integrity which is rare nowadays.
So...unofficially welcome to misfit Island I'm sure you fit right in. :)
Well thanks for the kind words. I've been designing PCB's for 30+ years now and before that an engineering tech in a communications company that's long gone now. That said, I don't know everything and I can prove it! :) If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. (that's happened before too) :) I just always know that sometimes things are not always what they seem to be and unless you know what and how something is done, you really don't know, (And that's just on the things I might know about.) As someone you might remember, (depending on your age) Gary Owens said about an Expert. "An Ex is a former has been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure." To that I added, "I don't want to be an expert, I'll settle for knowing a lot about it, but never everything, otherwise, you're not learning. ;-) Stay Safe and Healthy!

Delta prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Well outside my area but I can't help feeling that xchcui's question deserves something better than vague obfuscations
Obfuscation is also applied to programs to ensure intellectual property (IP) protection through reverse engineering prevention.
We try to do our best with the information given by the thread starters often times woefully inadequate as you just witness.

jkenny

Joined Aug 15, 2009
What kind of instrument were you using to measure this? My guess is it is utterly insufficient to capture anything of real value, especially if it's just a generic "EMF reader", which is essentially just a broadband RF power detector and some smarts to map it to values to display on the screen.

If you actually wanted to check the output of a cell tower, you would probably use a spectrum analyzer and a calibrated receiver antenna. Then you could capture not only the frequency spectra the tower covers, but also use zero span mode to capture the duty cycle or change in power vs. time. A cell tower will operate in TDD like modes where sometimes it is transmitting, sometimes receiving, sometimes on different frequency bands, and with different output power depending on how far away the client device is (the cell tower and client device both have transmit power control).

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Thanks a lot for all the answers.
It is a generic emf meter which suppose to sense RF power density
between:50MHZ-5GHZ,without any selectivity.
After reading all your responses,i guess that the emf meter
that i used is not suitable for that task indeed.(regardless of
the reason that make the spike's reading).

Thanks again for your help:)

anniel747

Joined Oct 18, 2020
Thanks a lot for all the answers.
It is a generic emf meter which suppose to sense RF power density
between:50MHZ-5GHZ,without any selectivity.
After reading all your responses,i guess that the emf meter
that i used is not suitable for that task indeed.(regardless of
the reason that make the spike's reading).

Thanks again for your help:)
Clearly not the right tool indeed!