Reversing polarity with DPDT relay and timer

Andy31

Joined Apr 29, 2016
I did search the other chicken coop door threads and I've spent a lot of time on google and failed attempts with the parts I bought from doing research. Now that it's time to hook everything up I can't figure it out to save my life.

My parts:
-12v linear actuator (built in limit switches)
-8 pin DPDT relay (with base)
-12v timer
-12 v battery
-solar charger

I am trying to open a chicken door in the morning then when power is reapplied the polarity switches to close the door.

I can figure out everything but the I cannot read an electrical schematic diagram and I am willing to buy new relay(s) to get this project completed. I will pay for a knowledgeable persons time drawing out a labeled diagram (that a child could understand). I know this is possible and a lot of you can do something like this without even thinking, but I am completely throwing in the towel and putting my pride aside.
I Will post detailed pictures of my completed project with color coded relay connections.
Thanks for reading and any help, Andy image.jpeg

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
you sure can use DPDT relay to reverse polarity but you will need another one too to turn the actuator on/off. alternatively you can use (still two) relays, one to run actuator forward and other to run reverse.

Andy31

Joined Apr 29, 2016
you sure can use DPDT relay to reverse polarity but you will need another one too to turn the actuator on/off. alternatively you can use (still two) relays, one to run actuator forward and other to run reverse.
I actually had it right the whole time but my timer is defective. I was testing everything using manual mode on timer. I got rid of the timer and

Andy31

Joined Apr 29, 2016
I did finally figure out my timer is defective and the relay was wired correctly. The actuator now extends while power is applied, then when power is off (via new timer) the actuator retracts. Now that I learned this, I am getting 2 SPDT relays and 2 new timers so the power will only be applied for 1 minute at opening and 1 minute at closing (16" stroke will take 42 seconds)
I don't know if I will need any diodes for protection with my dual SPDT setup?