Restoring Marantz 2025. Need Tape Motor

buffumjr

Joined Mar 24, 2018
I .am restoring a Marantz 2025 cassette drive. Beautiful, as were all Marantz products. The drive motor won't run. It turns freely. There is no continuity between the wires, which means we have an open circuit, somewhere. The two wires that feed the motor put out 12VDC. Rotation is clockwise, and RPM is unknown. I'm looking into buying a new or used motor to replace it.

The motor has two numbers on it. MM01200032 and 80214030. The MM number is probably the Marantz part number. I'm guessing the second numbr is the subcontractor's part number. Unfortunately, there is no logo or company name on the motor to help.

Any generic manufacturers out there? Marantz's subcontractor Encompass says they don't stock this, and don't know anything about it.

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
This will probably be a special motor with a built in speed controller. Some I have seen have a very crude speed controller that is just a weight and spring that opens contact when the motor is up to speed. If it is this type of speed control t may be dirty contacts. I could also be the brushes worn out. Have you checked the brushes ?

Les.

buffumjr

Joined Mar 24, 2018
I have not opened the motor. I may do that, tomorrow. Nothing to lose, really. If I botch it, I can still hope to buy another.

Another user suggested Pacific Stereo. I have an email in to them. Will post results.

buffumjr

Joined Mar 24, 2018
I opened the case. Lots of noise deadener. Nothing broken or dirty inside. Still doesn't work.

Ebay has a post for a lot of motors, for less than $40. I hope to hear from Pacific before the offer expires.