Resources for these topics on digital design?

jean28

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Good day, guys

I am taking a course in advanced digital system design. Unfortunately, my professor does not explain things very clearly, and the book (Digital Design by Mano) does not have the information that I need for the topics in this course. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find information on:

- System Controller Design
- Use of Decoders and Multiplexers in System Controller Design

The book doesn't show anything about this, and whenever I try to search for how to design system controllers online, I get information on a control theory courses, which is not exactly what I am looking for. What I am looking for is designing controllers using Digital gates, such as multiplexers and decoders.

Another topic that was talked in class but I can't find any resources online is direct and indirect addressed multiplexers configuration.

Any help on where I can find info on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What kind of "system"? What kind of "controller"? What "design" technique?

Pretty vague topic(s). I think you need to be more specific...

jean28

Joined Sep 5, 2012
What kind of "system"? What kind of "controller"? What "design" technique?

Pretty vague topic(s). I think you need to be more specific...
I agree with you completely, which is why I am so lost. Here are example pictures of a document the professor gave us to study. I guess the idea is to do controllers for digital systems using multiplexers.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
These are all examples of Huffman/Mealy/Moore Finite State Machines. Try using these names as search terms.

There is nothing magic about using multiplexers instead of discrete AND/OR logic gates when making FSMs; it might save a few chips. Implementing a FSM in a uProcessor as code instead of building it out of flip-flops and gates (or multiplexers) will save even more chips...:D