Resistor burnt in a phase shift circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohan.n2293

Joined Jan 23, 2017
Hi all i have used a RC circuit to get phase shift form 230v input with cap=22uf,450v and resistor=1k,1/4 watt ,but i dono when i connect to 230v supply resistor in the 230v got burnt .
can any one tell me why it happend?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
For the usual phase shift arrangement the R and the C are effectively in series across the 230V RMS supply.
The impedance of the cap at 50Hz is ~ 145Ω, so the RMS current through the resistor is 230/(1k+145) = 200.9 mA. That means the poor resistor has to dissipate ~ 230 x 0.2 = 46W :eek:. It's hardly surprising a 1/4W resistor gave up the ghost.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
My calculations get the impedance of the capacitor approximately to be 145 ohms @ 50 Hz.
So almost all the 230 Volts is across the resistance, and it provides approximately 50 watts of power in the resistance.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You have not given a schematic of how the components are connected so I will assume they are connected in series across 230 volts AC I will also assume that the frequency is 50 Hz as you have also ommited this information. Based on these assumptions I do not find it surprising that a 1/4 watt resistor disipating 52.44 watts get very hot.
Edit This is based on vector addition of the capacitors reactance (144.7 ohms) and the 1K resistance which gives a value of 1010.4 ohms.
Les.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
This thread will be closed, because the contents were violated with the UA(User Agreement).

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

* Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
* Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
* LEDs to mains
* Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
* Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
* Transformer-less power supplies

If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.

User Agreement:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/user-agreement/

Note:
If your circuit is an AC dimming application then please click the report button and tell us then we will reopen it again, and upload the schematic as 800x600, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.